Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha Forum

I spent most of the evening going through all of the yzf and wr 250 valve posts on the yamaha forum. They have plenty of valve problems also. The difference is that the Yamaha guys seem to have been messing around with valves along time and they know what they are doing. The key for them is to re-shim as soom as the tolerances are out, you cannot let it go or it will screw up the valve much faster. There is no difference with the Honda's. If you dont believe me go search the posts yourself. The harder you run your bike the more attention you have to pay to the tolerances. This is why some guys have no problems and some do.

I disagree, having spent much time on the Yamaha forum and quite a bit on this one and the Suzuki forum. Granted I own the Yamaha but I am not a brand fanatic. I have raced more Honda's than anything else. Valve reshimming is a reality on all the four strokes, but total valve failure seems to be much less frequent on the blue bikes. My 250F is 3 years old, we reshimmed once and it is ridden hard. Tolerances are fine.

Valve Problems! I think your talking about maintence, Im not biased on either brand, Love Honda and yamaha both, My dad has CRF450, 3 XR's out in the garage, with my 02 YZ250F. Ive never experienced any problems with valves with my bike and just like Kaptians its 3 years old, I check the valves 3-4 times a year and most of the time they are in-spec I've re-shimmed once. I ride trails every once and awhile but I Mainly ride track, Race every 2 weeks. And as he said It is something that has to be checked and replaced if needed on any thumper. Ive never seen any problems with valves on the YZ250F forum.

I spent most of the evening going through all of the yzf and wr 250 valve posts on the yamaha forum. They have plenty of valve problems also. The difference is that the Yamaha guys seem to have been messing around with valves along time and they know what they are doing. The key for them is to re-shim as soom as the tolerances are out, you cannot let it go or it will screw up the valve much faster. There is no difference with the Honda's. If you dont believe me go search the posts yourself. The harder you run your bike the more attention you have to pay to the tolerances. This is why some guys have no problems and some do.

your a bad lier. get over it the honda has some problems. u have to reshim with all bikes but honda a lor more often.

I spent most of the evening going through all of the yzf and wr 250 valve posts on the yamaha forum. They have plenty of valve problems also. [...] There is no difference with the Honda's. If you dont believe me go search the posts yourself.

jcole,

i've been around TT for a bit, with that in mind i think you're a bit off base with your assertion that the scope of yamaha valve issues is anywhere near the same level as honda's. first off, there is a larger number of yamaha WR and YZ250F's out in the world compared to honda CRF250's and -X's. so you need to take that data into account. for the three years yamaha was alone making 250cc four strokes there has been very little evidence of infant mortality on the yamaha valvetrain. that's not the case with the honda 250cc four stroke design. yes, there are sporadic posts in the yamaha forum describing valve issues -- but the frequency of these types of posts is far far far less than i see in the honda forum these days. no one in yamaha-land is talking about a "class action lawsuit" over a valve issue. i'm not pro-yamaha or anti-honda, i'm just calling it like i see it. i have incredible sympathy for CRF250 owners experiencing downtime and expensive valve "upgrades". i very much hope that for the sake of the honda owners that this situation with the CRF250 valves gets permanently straightened out.

ps:

i have a pair of '01 yamaha 250F's in my family: my WR250F and my brother's YZ250F. on several occasions, i have put 30 hours of riding on my WRF in 4 consecutive days (see my six days writeup linked below). surfing around TT, i see some CRF owners replacing valves at 30hrs. that interval would be, for me at least, unacceptable. i took a huge financial risk, as did my brother, buying a first production year high output 250cc four stroke. i have never pushed my WRF out of the woods, and i haven't changed out the valves after nearly 4000 miles. as i start to look around for a new bike, armed with my prior yamaha experience and the knowledge that the honda 250cc four stroke is a bit of a roll of the dice right now, i'm having a hard time convincing myself to look at a red bike. i'm hoping that the honda situation will improve as i like to have options.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

I have many riding buddies both on both the older (99's and 00's) and new Blue bikes and some others that are riding CRF450s and a couple who went for the CRF250s. TheYamaha riders have there valves done 2 times a years on the outside and beat the crap out of their bikes, how they still run I really dont know but they do :cry:. CRF riders are doing them with in 15 to 20 hours of ride time. We can do that kind of time in three straight days of riding. NEVER has a Yamaha quit on the group, knock on wood...I have seen several Hondas end up being pushed or limped out to the truck. I too have been a Honda fan, I looked long and hard and the 250X, but I will not spend 6K+ on a bike to NOT ride it. I am no mechanic either, I buy what works, that is why I sold the KTM, it did not work so hot. Honda is known for good solid bikes I have owned three over the years, all XR's that are bullet proof (still have 1 just in case), but they have it wrong on their thumpers, plain and simple. They will get it together but until they figure it out the Yamaha has the Honda beat every time. :cry: