Sign in to follow this  

Carb slide won't reset ?

Help!

I just finished raising my needle jet one notch to adjust to the cooler temperatures. It appears that the slide (throttle valve assembley)won't go all the way down. The wholes in the cam that my throttle cable attach to are at 8:30 and 9:30 instead of 10PM and 11pm. Could my float be stuck? The throttle moves by does not have complete range of motion.

I have changed my needle several times before without problem and the bike was running great on Sunday.

A stuck float wouldn't cause this, you'd just have fuel running out your overflow tube.

You should have a slight amount of play in the throttle. My manual says 3-5mm. If you don't then you'll have to investigate further.

If throttle play is OK, you might check your main jet and needle jet to see if there is anything down in there.

Try blowing out the top of the carb with compressed air while working the throttle cable back and forth. Maybe something is down inside it hanging the cable lift mechanism.

Did you put the allen set screw back in on top of your needle, or could it be rattling around in there getting in the way?

Just some thoughts.

I am very careful when I change my needle clip position to gently remove the allen set screw and make sure the spring and the cap are attached.

The main jet screws in from the bottom doesn't it.

I am going to remove the carb tonight and take it apart so I can hold it upside down and shake it. I will report back on results.

I had the same problem on my snowmobile ended up being that i slighty bent the needle hardly enough to even notice but it wouldn't let the slide down all the way. Hope this helps. :cry: