Sign in to follow this  

Autoclutch - Hill Technique

Howdy,

I am fairly new to the Rekluse z-start autoclutch. I find it works excellent, especially for technical steep uphills. I am finding that even though I get pretty far up on the tank (I could probably be a little farther forward) the bike tends to wheely when the bike hooks up really well.

I think that usually manipulating the clutch lever when this happens is the best way to eliminate looping out, but there is no clutch lever now :cry: I've tried letting off the throttle quickly but my momentum stops and getting up to the top is much more difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions for technique when riding with the auto clutch? :cry:

:cry: Maybe tap the rear brake? I dont have any experience though, so you may not want to listen to me... Good luck. :cry:

but there is no clutch lever now :cry:

Buy the z-Start clutch perch option and you'll have a functional clutch lever again, but with a significantly reduced lever pull :cry:

I had the same trouble when I first had mine. Trick is throttle control. You have to have more feel with the throttle, maybe not use more than you need to get up the hill, then when the front starts to come up, just roll back a little bit, not shut off, just roll back enough so the front comes back down. It took me about a month to get used to it, and I'm still learning, but it makes riding easier.

Hawaiian,

That sounds like good advise. The throttle control is easier said than done. I do like to pin it. :cry:

I also liked the back brake idea. I'll have to try that too.

Buy the z-Start clutch perch option :cry:

Qadsan,

Do you use the clutch lever on your bike in my situation ?

Do you use it any differently because it has the z-start in it?

i also have the perch adjuster but find in this situation that rolling slightly off the throttle and letting the clutch do its job ie; slipping as the rpms drop. try the next gear up and lug the motor,the rekluse will shine if set up properly. :cry:

Qadsan,

Do you use the clutch lever on your bike in my situation ?

Do you use it any differently because it has the z-start in it?

I use the clutch lever for initialy shifting into gear and more often when down shifting, but that's about it. My 650 has tons of torque, but I might use the clutch lever different if I was riding a different bike.

You could adjust the Z start as per the manual to give you a slower engagement by adjusting tension on the spring or installing the nesxt heavier spring that came with it. Just dont make it to slow to engage, youll get much faster clutch wear. I use the light spring they advised to use for tight woods, it engages quicker than the heavier spring, I like it just fine for technical rocky hills. Much easier than with the stock clutch. I keep my elbows up and head out over the bars when climbing. The first day I rode with the Z start I charged the hills way harder than I ever did before, the thing is amazing to me.

Yeah, it seems that I get into trouble whenever I slide back by accident. I used to always plant my butt on the seat up by the gas tank but the hills are getting steeper and it's hard to stay up there. I've been working on standing and leaning forward to use my legs to keep me forward. I find after I get a bit tired I'm struggling with my arms so I must be using them also.

It was a lot better this weekend on the pegs. The clutch worked awesome once I put a new clutch pack with '04 CR125 fibers and the Yamaha steel plates in there. I was flying up one of the those twisty uphills through the woods and passed one of our intermediate riders who was still moving upwards. It really allows you to charge up a hill. :cry:

By the way I kept adjusting my light spring looser so that it would engage faster to keep my engine braking cutting in quick on the down hills. It's perfect now. :cry:

I've never ridden a bike with a autoclutch. But I don't imagine the basics change??, throttle control an wheel spin!!. Keep the bike in the meat of the power and use (no clutch!), wieght transfer to control wheel spin or traction. :cry:

I have experienced more "whiskey throttle" since Ive had my Z start. You really do have to be more careful with throttle control since at some spring settings the clutch feathers whenever you roll on the throttle. The engine spools up quicker like it would if you goosed the clutch every time you applied throttle (especially if you have it set to engage quickly). This can can make things interesting when you get real tired like I was near the end of an enduro I raced a few weeks ago. Almost wheelied myself into oblivion a few times.

I have noticed that too, with my z-start it makes the throttle VERY sensitve which is bad on a 250 2 stroke in tight terrain when Im really tired,, right now I ride a gear higher to keep it a little more mellow,, I was also reading about that new throttle tube for offroad bikes that allow more fine control of the throttle.. it gives you 3 diffrent pulleys, sounds pretty cool, some of the GNCC guys use it, Rodney Smith and the like

It might make it worse when you gear up.

You really do have to be more careful with throttle control since at some spring settings the clutch feathers whenever you roll on the throttle. The engine spools up quicker like it would if you goosed the clutch every time you applied throttle

The higher gear will make the clutch slip and grab more. I usually ride a gear lower than I used to (reving a bit more) and I find the bike is really smooth in the tight trees. (Well 1st is a little jumpy but the rest are smooth even when it's reving pretty high)

I have noticed that too, with my z-start it makes the throttle VERY sensitve which is bad on a 250 2 stroke in tight terrain when Im really tired,, right now I ride a gear higher to keep it a little more mellow,, I was also reading about that new throttle tube for offroad bikes that allow more fine control of the throttle.. it gives you 3 diffrent pulleys, sounds pretty cool, some of the GNCC guys use it, Rodney Smith and the like

SteveVA

I have installed one of the G-2 Ergonomics throttle tubes

on my 04 KTM 250 EXC 2t and it works great. I don't have

an auto clutch but before I was having problems with

throttle control in tight nasty situations. Basically it

slows down the first 1/4 throttle or so and makes it easier

to be fine on the throttle where you need to be. It still

is a 1/4 turn throttle so if you need to yank it open you

still can. I have been considering going with an auto

clutch mod of some kind also but right now with the G-2

I like my bike the way it is. I just wish my bike had a

6 speed as first gear is really tall. That is why I was