Sign in to follow this  

Looking at an 02 YZ250F

Hey, this is my first post and I need some advise. I just sold my 02 KTM400SX and am moving down to a 250f. I have a chance to get a 02 YZ250F or a 04 CRF250R. I think the Honda has been rode hard and put up wet. The YZF has very little abuse and already has the 03 exhaust cam upgrade. I will not be racing(big chicken)just mostly play riding. I read a few posts on the CRF and it sounds like that thing has major issues. The YZF needs nothing that I am aware of. I guess my question is can someone give me some quick facts and pros and cons to these two bikes? Also, if it were your money which would you go with?

Thanks, Shane

I can't speak for the crf, but I can for the 02' yz250f. The yz is a great bike and still completely competitive, just a bit heavier than the current model line up of 250f's. I saw a kid racing this exact bike (apparently stock) in the expert class last weekend and he smoked em. The advantage of the YZ is the amount of parts available in the market used/new/ebay. Also, we all know how well this bike holds up under all conditions so that is a good determining factor for me. All in all, I think the only real downside differences are weight and suspension setup, but if you are not racing it should not be a big concern.

Ive got a 02 YZ250F and its rock solid. I actually bought it in a similar situation, it was a friends and he had put 10 hours on it and then broke his ankle. I mean this thing didn't have any paint off the frame, or off the cases. And at the same time I was looking to purchase a leftover 03 or new 04 but that was about 2K more. I ended up Going with the 02 and using the 2K to invest in parts for my bike, figured it would be more fun that way than having a stock bike. But it handles awesome at the track and is awesome in the woods. Ive never had any problems with it, I change the oil every 3-4 rides, air filter the same, and check valves 2-3 times a year.

I think I would be worried about the CRF having problems with either burning oil, or eating valves. Yamahas built their 250F engine alot longer than honda has. Just my .02.

Shane, Shane here,

Looks like you have already made your decision, and I quote

I think the Honda has been rode hard and put up wet.

AND

I read a few posts on the CRF and it sounds like that thing has major issues.

My Best friend rides a 02 YZ250F with cam upgrade, has never had one single machanical issue and is a racer in local arena cross.

Faded blue is faded blue, faded red is pink!!!

Shane

I got an 01 yz250f last month with the 03 cam upgrade and a factory connection woods revalve for the woods. BIke is phenominal in every aspect. Really dependable so far, fast, fun and easy to ride. My friend also rides an 04 crf250r and already his coolant is somehow leaking into his oil due to a possible bad gasket and rear bearings already shot (may be maintence issue here but not sure, bearings already going in less than a year, cant be good). I also rode his, feels pretty much like my 250f without the topend pull and I disliked the suspension compared to mine but thats because mine was revalved. Go for the yzf.

I've had 3 yz and wr250f's without any problems so far.

I think that if I did get a cr250f, I would just go ahead and get the head re-done with quality valves, then get a 262 overbore kit with a piston that had more rings on it. This should get you in the game power and reliability-wise with any year yz250f for several hundred dollars.

My 2002 yz250f is awesome, but I do like the seat and the showa suspension on the new cr's.

If you just want a trouble-free ride, get the yz. :cry:

Mine has around 5000km on it, with meticulous oil and air filter changes. Ive had the hims checked 3 times and havent needed touching. My mates 04 CRF has had several shim swaps already with less than HALF THE KMS. Do the maths. The YZF is unbeatable for reliability in its class. Sure the CRF frame looks trick, but the motor has big issues. Check the reviews which constantly bag the motor. Also check the TT posts on valve problems and oil consumption. Look at the attrition rates in endurance events and the Yamahas are in a class of there own. Buy whichever you want they are both great bikes, but dont say you were not warned about the differences in reliability, particularly of the valves and shims.

PS. The problem is not fixed in the Honda yet. Someone in a previous post on this issue in this forum about a week ago looked up the part numbers which are identical this year as they were last year. So dont let anyone tell you the hondas valve problems have been rectified.

every day just about somebody different is posting on the honda forum...my engine make a weird noise....this dealer is not giving me the right valve parts...what is the right specs on my valves.. dont go with the crf it handles great but...they have serious problems with the valves. I have 03 yz 250f and i have beaten it to death. I ride it like a 2 smoke. And I have been doing this for 2 years and still no valve problems. Go with the yamaha. :cry:

I greatly appreciate all of the advise. Everyone is making one heck of an argument for the YZF. I am going to see the person with the yz on saturday to discuss the isssue. Her husband is asking $3300.00 but I am going to try to talk him down a couple of bills. Any advise on a fair amount to offer? I do not want to insult the man but I also do not want to pay an arm and a leg for the bike. Again, thanks for the info and please keep it coming.

Shane :cry:

I can't tell you a good price in your area, but you could check out the "For Sale" forum here, and maybe some others have recently bought an 02 and can chime in.

Here is an excellent thread (follow the links in it) to read for anyone buying a used bikes. Great tips there. Good luck :cry:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1386379/page/2/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

02 is a great bike I have 02 and 03. my 03 blew up lol bad rod my 02 has been perfect niether had valve problems I jsut cecked my 03 new motor with 20 hrs on it and valves didnt move at all. 02 checked after 2 yr and didnt move at all.02 also holds more oil. id get a tall seat foam for the 02 it will flatten out the seat to tank junction.

I have had 01s, 02s, and 03s, and they have two basic needs for long motor life. Change your oil frequently with high quality synthetic oil. The other thing is keep up with your valves. If you ever measure them, and find one clearance setting that has changed significantly, then replace the valve, and do not re-shim it. They are made of Titanium, and when they grow, that is an early indicator of an impending failure. Besides those two words of caution, the YZ will give you much more satisfaction. And I used to be a brand loyal Honda dude until I started on the YZF. I am not going to put them down, but the YZF just works for me. And that's my $.02. :cry:

AC Guy is right and if it has had significant use change the valves and have the seats ground.

Rich Rohrich, who's advice I've found to be pretty reliable, says that if the shim size changes by 10% then it's time for new valves. So if a shim started out at 180, and you've reshimmed it a few times, and now the chart says it's time for a 160 or 165, then you'd better get new valves instead. Your piston will thank you. (and so will your head, cylinder and wallet) :cry:

I won't say anything bad about Hondas either. I came off of XRs and have never had anything but a good experience with them. I'm fully converted to blue now though.

Well, I did it. I just bought a 2003 Yamaha YZ250F last night. This thing is in perfect condition. I found it on ebay. I had to travel 4 1/2 hours to get it but I think it was worth it. Let me tell you what it has on it then I will tell you how much I paid. DSP carbon fiber fork guards, Galfer braided stainless steel brake line with CR routing, ZipTy magnetic drain plug and fuel screw and TM Designworks chain guide. One Ind. vented front number plate, 2 Twin Air filters, Stomp grip on the air box, and a DID 520 ert gold chain. N-Style Y.O.T graphics with seat cover , and IMS pro pegs. Full FMF Powerbomb/Ti-4 exhaust, Power Now, and Carbon fiber works frame guards. Renthal fat bar(McGrath bend), RG3 polished upper triple clamp, Works Connection Pro perch with hot start, and Works Connection radiator braces. Acerbis flag lite hand guards, Works Connection oil filler plug, Works Connection billet master cylinder res. cover, and Ride Engineering billet axle block adjusters. The bike has not been ridden hard and barely has any scuff marks on the sides of the engine cases. There are no white marks in any of the plastic. I got all of this for $3500.00. Do you think I got a good deal? I can't wait for this weekend so I can go riding and really check this thing out. All I need now is for someone to tell me what all of the FREE mods are so I can search this site and figure out how to do them. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips on how to make this bike last a very long time because it will probably will be my last for years.

Thanks, Shane

Go to www.thumperfaq.com and read everything. Most things can be found easily using the site map on that site. Search or ask here if you've got specific questions. Congratulations on your new bike. You got a killer deal with all those add ons! :cry: