no rim-lock!!!

The other day I'm on my way home from riding some local trails and I realize my front tire is going flat. Closer inspection revealed the tire and tube have turned on the rim and cut the valve stem. I thought dirtbikes were supposed to have rim-locks on them, but apparently my DR350 doesnt' have one on the front, are all DR's this way or is mine just missing the rim-lock? What should I do to prevent this from happening again?

The other day I'm on my way home from riding some local trails and I realize my front tire is going flat. Closer inspection revealed the tire and tube have turned on the rim and cut the valve stem. I thought dirtbikes were supposed to have rim-locks on them, but apparently my DR350 doesnt' have one on the front, are all DR's this way or is mine just missing the rim-lock? What should I do to prevent this from happening again?

My 1993 DR-350s doesn't have them. Never did. Bought it new, and have changed tires a bunch of times in the 46,000 miles I've ridden it so far.

It has knurled features on the rim bead; I'm guessing that these ridges are supposed to do the job of rim-locks.

To prevent the problem? I don't know... maybe install rim-locks? Maybe more PSI in tires?

And are your rims stock? Ie, do you have the ridges I mentioned? If the rims have been changed, maybe you don't have the ridges, hence the problem.

Good luck,

Doug

Yep,the DR350's and 650's didn't/doesn't come with rim locks. Lower air pressure is a plus off road but will pincha tube on the pavement as I have done with my 650 and my friend did with his 350. Rim locks are easy enough to add but I must confess that I havn't done it yet either. I just am carefull to keep the air pressure in both tires at 20 psi. I know I could probably run less but I'd rather give up a little traction than risk a pinched tube when I return to the pavement.

I also use tubes that have the threaded metal valve stems which have a locking nut preventing the stem from twisting and cutting like the rubber stems can. Thats not saying that a tire twisting on the rim can't damage the tube though.

Replacing the rim strap with new or using duct tape around the rim will protect the tube from getting sliced by one of the spoke nipples helps too.

Anyway,why the DR's (and DRZ's!)didn't come with rim locks is a mystery. Heck,my wife's little XR100 came with them. ?

Mike.

PS- I use the tubes made by Ching-shin. They have the metal stems,are much thicker than the stock tube and only run about $8 (or less). I havn't had a problem with these as yet (knock wood ?)

I lost a tube to not having rim straps once, and another to not having rim locks. Now I have both b/c 15 psi or so on the trails is nice. However the rim locks will make for a vibration if not balanced out on the wheel, which you can do yourself or have the shop do (but only at highway speeds and nothing violent, but a definite vibration.)