Sign in to follow this  

GPS Mounting

Need to mount my new GPSmap60CS on my DRZ. Two questions:

1) anyone have experience with the Touratech mount? Seems like most of the readers on this board use the RAM mount. It looks pretty strong and is cheaper than touratech.

2) I got a Garmin cable that has bare wires on the other end. Where is the best place to tap in to the wiring harness for power? I was thinking that going right across the battery should be good, as the battery should serve to regulate the voltage. Suggestions?

Thanks!

I used the ram mount, with it you can switch units with mount between vehicles easy plus being able to adj for best viewing which cannot be done with touratech riding buddy has. Both mounts have been used for one year. I wired it to battery plus added a in line mini-blade fuse.

I think you're smart by going with a RAM-Mount. Here's mine:

gps3.jpg

gps6.jpg

Oh, and here's some VERY good advice. The screens can easily be

scratched if you use your glove to wipe the dust off. I apply a

piece of clear(obviously :cry:) packing tape to the screen and

smooth it out. When you're done riding, gently pull it off and you

shouldn't have to clean any adhesive off. :cry:

I use the RAM mount as well... The touratech's are nice but quite pricey...

If you decide to get the touratech, be sure to add some rubber washers to the set-up otherwise you'll vibrate the hell out of the GPS (my Streetpilot is toast;the battery terminals don't work anymore -- hardwiring is a necessity now)

I have a Ram mount as well.

Very slick :cry:

I like your connection between the bike to the RAM. Did you make it ? Have not seen that before.

No, I bought it from GPS City

RAM-B-252, about half way down the page.

Kelsow - Is that being mounted with only the one bolt I can see in the picture? I'm wondering if you also have it attached somewhere else. It looks like it might move if not.

The set-up looks nice though. This is how I have mine mounted using the Magellan handlebar mount:

[image]Image014.jpg[/image]

My case is a little "different", as when I was in Spain I didn't know about the RAM mount, I decided to make myself a mount. I used a piece of aluminum, two pieces of stainless steel, a piece of aluminum "rod"? two "elastic mounts" (I don't know how to call them, I refer to them as "silentblocks") and some screws. Here you have some pictures that I took some months ago (now I'm in the States and I don't have the bike with me :cry: ):

36044DSC02600.JPG

36044DSC02601.JPG

36044DSC02603.JPG

36044DSC02586.JPG

It worked quite well in my previous dirt bikes (this is the last one, a Yamaha DT 125R)

36044jump.JPG

It performs incredibly well, as it absorbs the bumps and it doesn't interfere in my driving style... :cry:

36044DSC02600.JPG

It performs incredibly well, as it absorbs the bumps and it doesn't interfere in my driving style... :cry:

Yeah but it looks like it might rip your nuts off if you went over the bars. Take it from someone who has gone over the bars recently, you don't want any metal parts where that thing is hanging out. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for the advice!! I have the same problem with the rearview mirror... I thought about mounting the GPS in a position like that:

gps3.jpg

But I thought that it wouldn't like to be nice to hit the GPS instead of the bar pad... where could we place our GPSs so that they are in a safe position? Perhaps like I have it, but protecting the metal with foam or something of the kind?

:cry:

But I thought that it wouldn't like to be nice to hit the GPS instead of the bar pad... where could we place our GPSs so that they are in a safe position? Perhaps like I have it, but protecting the metal with foam or something of the kind?

Page up to see a picture of how i have mine mounted. It is off to the side and it will turn around the bar if hit. Worst case scenario, since it is a plastic mount, it will break. When I went over the bars I hit it and it just turned about 20 degrees. If it broke it would be okay. I can buy a new mount but I can't buy new nuts. :cry: :cry:

Kelsow - Is that being mounted with only the one bolt I can see in the picture? I'm wondering if you also have it attached somewhere else. It looks like it might move if not.

The set-up looks nice though. This is how I have mine mounted using the Magellan handlebar mount:

No, it's just the one bolt and it's on good. I have only used it once so far so time will tell.

I was told the handle bar mount vibrates too much so I went with my setup.

I was told the handle bar mount vibrates too much so I went with my setup.

I've had the handlebar mount for 1.5 years and two different bikes. Vibration has not been a problem.

I hear those in Virginia mount them from behind :cry:

Just teasing. I have a custom mount on the handlebar - I have two GPSs and couldn't find one to fit both.

Thanks for the advice!! I have the same problem with the rearview mirror... I thought about mounting the GPS in a position like that:

:cry:

I've only hit the GPS once in the 1.5-years I've had it on the bike

and that was two-days ago. :cry:

I went straight up a 4-foot step in Moab and I smacked it with

the jewels... :cry:

Other than that, it's a great place to install it AND it's pleasing to

the eye. :cry:

I've only hit the GPS once in the 1.5-years I've had it on the bike and that was two-days ago. :cry:

I went straight up a 4-foot step in Moab and I smacked it with the jewels... :cry:

Other than that, it's a great place to install it AND it's pleasing to the eye. :cry:

Thanks! :cry: I don't ride very hard and I still haven't hit it, but this day won't be far away... :lol: as we all fall very often :cry:

Some years ago I didn't had a GPS and I didn't think that it was important, but today I wouldn't ride without it! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I am ridding in a new area alone and running into issues that got me thinking about a GPS.

I dug out my old Garman E trex that I got as a gift.

Will the ram mount keep it from loosing memory? I tried messing with the battery springs with no luck but was using the direct handlebar mount staight to the back.

Also there is a plug in on the back. Is this for battery or downloading or should I upgrade and get a new version.

That mapsourcing option sounds great.