Sign in to follow this  

2003 KTM 525EXC for MX

Hi. I'm a newbie, and would like your guys opinions on something. I'm 19 from Australia, and had to sell my YZ250F because I had to move away from home to go to university, which meant I had to give up racing MX as well.

My dad has just bought an 03 525EXC for trail riding, and has told me I can race it in the holidays whenever I want, and take off all the lights, blinkers, etc.

My question is: Are there any people out there who have any tips on how you would go about setting this bike up to race motocross? I weigh 180 pounds and am a C-Grade rider. I wouldn't want to spend too much money if possible (ie, pipe systems, works suspension etc).

Any help anyone can give me would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou for your time. :cry:

An EXC is going to be softly sprung and the tranny will likely feel pretty gappy for MX work. You could gear it down a lot and put in stiffer springs/valving. Kind of depends on your weight and how big you go with the bike.

i raced moto x for training during the summer and i have an 03' 525 EXC and all i did was get stiffer springs, if i was going to be doing it all the time i would have geared it down but it was just a temporary thing

You won't need more power, trust me! I am a Vet. Intermediate MXr and over 40 A class rider. After 2 back surgeries and many other injuries mostly ride Harescrambles. Harescrambles mostly have outdoor style natural terrain MX tracks and 5-6 miles of woods for 2 hours in my area with few jumps over 35 feet. First try just stiffer springs only. I dedided that a re-valve was not necesary for me. Also try heavier fork oil, experiment before spending alot of money. Remember, KTMs are very sensitive to clicker changes. If you are trying to do Supercross style MX or very difficult MX (big jumps) on any KTM 4-stroke, you are likely to be disappointed without spending some money on a suspension re-valve at least.