Sign in to follow this  

Will textile street gear burn melt on my 426?

i just bought some joe rocket stage 1 pants for sport bike riding. will these melt if i try wearing them on my yz426f? i wore a pair of gym pants like an idiot while doing some maintenance and it melted them almost instantly. i figure mx pants dont burn (right :cry:?) so why should these? not trying to test my theory on expensive pants though. thanks guys

Anything contacting the pipe (including leather or textile) will burn/melt.

thanks. i was thinking of applying some exhaust heat wrap(the tape used on car headers to reduce underhood temps) around the pipe to combat this. any thoughts on that route?

I guess I should have been a touch more specific. If you leave the header guard (I'm assuming the bike has the stock header pipe and guard) on, you shouldn't have a problem. When the material makes direct contact with the head pipe (not guard) it'll burn/melt.

I guess I should have been a touch more specific. If you leave the header guard (I'm assuming the bike has the stock header pipe and guard) on, you shouldn't have a problem. When the material makes direct contact with the head pipe (not guard) it'll burn/melt.

you're not the only one who should have been a bit more specific....i have a Dr.D exhaust and no gaurd on the aftermaket header.

Make a guard. I did for my powerbomb header, after melting my MX pants.

Hint: pipe clamps

Make a guard. I did for my powerbomb header, after melting my MX pants.

Hint: pipe clamps

i appreciate your help guys, you have NO idea how upset i would be if i destroyed these pants in the first minute of wearing them. i think i'm gonna opt for this carbon fiber gaurd below since anything i make will certainly take away from the smooth, badass looks of my yamaha :cry:.

Carbon fiber pipe gaurd

i will probably get this today unless you all know something i dont know. this should work well right?

also, would wrapping other exposed parts with the tape i mentioned in the above post have any negative effects i should be aware of?