Sign in to follow this  

How to improve brake 'feel'?

I just bought a 2002 XR250 (my first motorcycle). The brake lever is a bit too hard to pull, it starts gripping a bit too 'early', and it just has shitty feel. I'm in Brazil and the mechanic already 'adjusted' the brake (which I presume simply involved greasing the lever-hinge, since these are hydraulic brakes and there's not much to adjust, right? )

I noticed that when you first start pulling the lever, there is a little circular rubber gasket (like a plunger) that gets pushed in by the'heel' of the lever. Perhaps that is the first think in the braking-chain that is making it hard to pull, and could be somehow adjusted, or replaced? Maybe I should replace the brake fluid as well? (Not sure when it was last replaced...) What else is in the 'braking-chain' to improve feel, (I'm assuming you don't have to have steel-braided lines to have decent feel)

Thanks for any advice!

Rob

My brake lever, when in the garage, feels fairly soft all the way in. But out on the trail, its very smooth, and predictable. They'll also brake very hard if I need it.

Try replacing the fluid. First time for me, it only took ten minutes, front and back. Brake fluid is only a couple bucks. Its nice to have a helper for the front.

Honda brakes are the most predictable around, most bikes are on or off.

Being "hard" to the feel would lead me to believe ....is it possible you have overfilled the reservoir?

there is a small adjusting screw 5mm on the lever itself but its should not be an issue

stu