Sign in to follow this  

web camshafts (long term xr80 big bore update 2)

Hey guys. I have a 79 xr80 now with the big bore 98cc kit in it. I was lookig at adding a web cam to the bike but I was wondering if anyone has used these cams before in their mini. Any advice on which one to get? I'm looking to turn this thing into a monster.

Second question for everyone. (bet you Socalxr will know this one) I have the stock low pipe on my bike currently, and have been looking at the DG pipes that the old XR75's had. You know the style that wrap around the motor, between the head and frame. Any idea where to find these? I know "red racer" makes them, but I was trying to find other ones as well. How well do these work compared to the stock pipe? Worth the money? Once again any advice?

~~~~Long term update~~~

If you look back in the posts you will find my orginal posts about the XR's only 98cc 11.1 compression kit that I ordered and installed from XR's only. Its been about 2-2.5 months since I have had the kit in the bike and its still running strong. I have been able to keep up with TTR125's at our local TT race track. The only thing is the bike doesn't have the low end torque of the bigger cc bikes. With the fly wheel turned down it rips in the higher RPMS. My last race a had the cam chain take a crap on me and the cam spun 90-120 degrees out of synch. I was very happy to see that no valves were smashed or worse yet the piston. I'm picky about engine building so I decided to pull the head and check the bore. Bore looks good with a few light lines in it perhaps from break in? So I am going to get my gasket kit and put the bike back together, however I'm thinking about camshafts now. Stay tuned for more once the cam is ordered and installed. ICE RACING is just around the corner!

I see those pipes every now and then on e-bay but they usually go for big $$

As far as the Web cam cam goes I have been using the same cam for 4 years now and it survived a hed going bad too.

I run the 69/68 cam. Works great!!! For the up-pipe, the guy who sells them on ebay, is the supplier for red-racer, or at least used to be. It's the exact (down to the flange) replica of the old DG pipe. In fact, the same pipe company who makes them for him, supplied the material for DG back in the day.

socalxr,

Is that pipe worth the money compared to the stock unit that I'm using? Noticable increase in performance with the other mods to the motor?

-Matt

Yes, plus it adds bottom. Being a meg, it also lets it rev more. But if you run a 200x carb it won't fit. I had to re-route it.