Sign in to follow this  

Can someone explain the VOR (non oil pump) oiling system?

Hi,

I've been getting confused as to how the reed oiling system works on my 530mx. I had initially thought the external line pumps oil to the cambox - but recent info from a forum members says its the other way and pulls oil out of the cambox.

I'm now confused - can anyone explain how the cambox is oiled - and also how the crank bearings are oiled.

Many thanks

Adrian

Ok not VOR specfic but the usaly for Husqvarna (they possibly developed the system) Some Husabergs and the VOR competion models. The oil system relies on the doward action of the pistion to preasurise the crank case, similar to a two stroke. But instead of forcing fuel air mixture through a tranfer port the presure is used to force engine oil up through a one way ried valve which sprays the cam box etx etx with oil. The oil is then returned to the crank case via a tube and a combination of the negative preasure of the crankcase as the piston rises again and gravity. The system has a number of advantages in that it allows a wieght reduction as well as the power loss from driving a conventional oil pump. The disadvantages are that the crankcase needs to seal well any crancase seep will quickly turn into a leak, its still not quiet as good as a conventional oil pump and thus shortens the working life of the motor a little, as the motors are considered competion motors this is considered an acceptable trade off. It has been around for at least 10 years and is reasonbly well proven thats the basics someone with more specfic VOR knowledge might be able to clear anything else up.

thanks owl - That was my understanding of it - however a post on my other thread has lead me to beleive that the cam gears move the oil upto the cambox and the oil line sucks it back down.

looking at the parts it does appear to be this way around.

I'll keep digging

laters

It's been around for more then 20 years (Husky's,Berg's,VOR's)and it's actually very reliable

That is pretty much the way it works. The reed valve pressurizes the clutch/cam gear side of the motor and the oil feeds to the right side of the engine where it is screened then fed to the cambox via the steel braided hose. There is a small orifice in the crossover tube that feeds oil directly to the rod bearings.

The primary concerns for this type of oiling system are to keep oil level within the correct range, ALWAYS give the oil time to reach the head before putting a load on the engine and give extra time if the bike has been sitting for a while. After oil changes I always lean the bike to the right and add about a half cup of oil to the galley behind the filter. This ensures you will have oil going to the rod as soon as the engine starts. As for reliability, I have hundreds of trouble free desert hours on my 2000 MX503.

If you ckeck the placement of the reed you will realize that you should listen to your other thread.