Sign in to follow this  

slipping the clutch

I went from slipping the clutch on my CR 250 to never on my 450. Can I go back to slipping with my CRF250R? Sometimes?

BTW my 05 is greased up, JD jetted, Dr D installed and ready for break-in. :cry:

I have seen two kids...and I say kids cause they are, slipping the clutch on their CRF250. One of them has already had to replace his clutch cause he smoked it. The other is going to smoke his in the same manner. I have not seen a need to slip the clutch on my 05 yet. I recently installed my Dr.D and the power is right there. Even in stock form I saw no need to slip. Those two kids I mention had just come from 125 2-smokes and I guess it's a hard habit to break.

Dano

i never slip it all i really do is like if i go into a tight turn and clutch.. then i just slip it back out...but its the same principle as going from stop to moving..but i wouldnt slip your clutch ..you really dont need the added boost...and its bad for it

I slip my clutch whenever I need to and haven't had to replace it yet. The clutch is a very useful tool and you might as well use it. If the clutch wears out, I replace it. It's not that big of a deal.

i never slip it all i really do is like if i go into a tight turn and clutch.. then i just slip it back out...but its the same principle as going from stop to moving..but i wouldnt slip your clutch ..you really dont need the added boost...and its bad for it

You don't ride in the woods, do you?

You don't ride in the woods, do you?

HAHAHAHHAHA.. thats so true.... I used to ride at parks that were open trails then i started riding single track in the woods... i slip my clutch all the time.... i would say about 1/2 of the 500 miles on my bike are single track and i always slip the clutch even with changing the gearing 1 down on the counter. my clutch is still doing good though.

Im still feathering my clutch way too much, I just moved up from a 125 two stroke and its still hard for me to get used to. It will probably be similar to your 450 though, cuz its still a 4 stroke.

Definately in the tight uphill woods sections that come on quickly. It is a controlled slip, so it does not pound on the clutch. :cry:

I slip all the time in tight woods, and my clutch is fine. About 400 miles of my total miles are singletrack, and you better believe that is 400 miles of slipping. :cry:

I have seen two kids...and I say kids cause they are, slipping the clutch on their CRF250. One of them has already had to replace his clutch cause he smoked it. The other is going to smoke his in the same manner. I have not seen a need to slip the clutch on my 05 yet. I recently installed my Dr.D and the power is right there. Even in stock form I saw no need to slip. Those two kids I mention had just come from 125 2-smokes and I guess it's a hard habit to break.

Dano

No offense but judging by your statement you obviously don't race, the clutch is neccesary if you intend to go fast, some use it more than others. But if you bought your bike to race, learn to ride it fast, which means using the clutch sometimes.

I use my clutch plenty and I haven't had any problems. While I don't use it any where near what you would have to on a 125. Seems to be working just fine for me.