04 CRF450 diagnostic help

I've read the numerous posts on valve woes, however I am unsure if I have the same problem. On my last ride, my bike was fine. I then hosed it off with a garden hose, not a pressure washer. It wouldn't start for 3 days.

Changed plugs, cleaned the carb, and checked valve adjustment. All valves were in adjustment except one intake valve, which had no clearance.

Now all valves are adjusted and the bike does start, however it runs poorly. It pops and sputters and flames shoot out the exhaust. Anyone have ideas what could have happened and how to fix it?

-Steve

Same thing is happening to my bike. Hosedit off, woudl not start. Valves were fine but carb was all mucked up. Got it to run but not it pops and flames shoot out the back. It makes you want to scream, like a little baby in the night.

If you figure it out, let me know and I will do the same.

Sb,

I've been told you should never start a 4 stroke after washing, without changing the airfilter first. On the CRF's, even just with a garden hose, a lot of water gets on the filter element when washing. If you go to start it, water and dirt will get pulled into the motor.

Just my 2 cents: I'll make a guess here that you did get a little water into the engine via the air cleaner which made it hard to start. I'm thinking that when you adjusted the valves thought that the timing timing chain wasn't timed correctly and the valves are a little advanced. That will cause the exhaust valve to open up too soon during combustion stroke, which would then cause a flame to come out the exhaust. Try double checking the timing again. I too wash my bike after every ride with a pressure washer, you just need to take a little care to not blast certain areas too directly (air cleaner, seals, exhuast, etc). Good luck and let us know what fixes it. Rod ?

I take paper towels and place one in the muffler end, and a half one in each opening in the side number plates.

Then again, unless it's really dirty/muddy, I only wash my bike when I plan on doing the air filter (two rides unless it's really dusty) afterwards and I never start it right after washing it. Not that I thought 'Hey, I might suck some water in the engine', I just never saw the need.

If I had to check the valves after washing this thing, I'd sell it and go back to CR500s.

Best of luck and I hope you guys get it all sorted out. ?

Same thing is happening to my bike. Hosedit off, woudl not start.

Antman450 -- So what happened when you swapped the carb?

It worked great. I then naturally went to inspect my carb. Apparantly the dealer who cleaned my carb put the slide in upside down. Fixed it and replace my carb and started first kick with no problems.