Sign in to follow this  

First ride after SS valve job!

I took the bike for it's first ride after putting in the ss intake valves. I had heard that you loose a little power. I'm thinking its a 450, I wont even notice. Well I did, coming out of corners. I felt like I had to down shift when I didn't have to before. I also kept stalling the bike going into tight corners. Anyone else notice the same thing? I think I can get use to it and adjust my riding. If the valves end up lasting a decent amount of time I will be happy.

Buz

I think you have some other issues, like your timing being off one tooth. You won't notice a performance difference. (at least I've never heard anyone complain yet)

I've not done this yet... but this reminds me to send out a post. On the other hand....

What'd it cost you to do this? And did you do a top end when you were there?! I'm thinking of going to SS valves soon, and doing a piston/rings while I'm in the bike... but so far I think I added up cost to be about $300 in parts. Maybe I'm off, it was a while when I added parts up on Service Honda's site.

Let us know your cost, and if you did the work. Details man... details. :cry:

I've not done this yet... but this reminds me to send out a post. On the other hand....

What'd it cost you to do this? And did you do a top end when you were there?! I'm thinking of going to SS valves soon, and doing a piston/rings while I'm in the bike... but so far I think I added up cost to be about $300 in parts. Maybe I'm off, it was a while when I added parts up on Service Honda's site.

I just bought all the parts, SS intakes, springs, and top end. All total was $263, including shipping. I got the vavles direct from Ron Hamp and top end parts from Service Honda.

I just bought all the parts, SS intakes, springs, and top end. All total was $263, including shipping. I got the vavles direct from Ron Hamp and top end parts from Service Honda.

This was just for the intakes right? I wonder how much more it will add to do exhaust also. I am getting ready to do mine in the next week or so and figured I would do intake and exhaust while I have it apart.

I didn't experience ANY power loss when I went to SS valves.

When I had my 03CRF done, I decided to go ahead and replace piston and rings (another 80 bucks or something from service honda). I did put in an 04 piston so it's not a 100% true comparison - it actually had a bit more snap probably from the higher compression piston.

-----

Side Note: I had valve problems to the point I was also ready to sell for a new ride - - - on the last reshim of my Ti vavles, they were good for about 3-4 more hours before tightening up again.

I now have about 40+ hours on these valves and the clearances haven't moved AT ALL :lol: :lol: :lol:.

I Just checked them again last night and fully expected at least some movement on the clearances - NOTHING :cry: So far I'm impressed.

However, I'm not to impressed that Honda hasn't addressed this problem. :cry: As I wrote back in June, when we were shimming my new valves... I checked with 6 honda dealerships for shims and they we all essentially out. The service guys again and again said - All we do is shim the 450s - we can't keep the shims in stock :lol:

Honda should at least change to SS valves (with stronger springs) if they aren't going to dig deeper for another solution. I seriously doubt everyone would be clammering for Ti valves that stretch like a bugger for a supposed power gain that no one can feel. :cry: :cry: :cry:

fred is right you missed the cam timming by a tooth ----i see this alot also , it makes a slouch out of one !!

Pro Circuit rebuilds the head with ti valves and heavier springs...no stainless coming out of PC for race motors.

I went stainless...only have one ride on it so far...time will tell.