Sign in to follow this  

'94 DR650 Vibration Problem

I just picked up a 94 DR650.. has only 6000 miles on it. Has an Acerbis oversized tank and a supertrapp exhaust (not sure what model)

At idle, the bike will vibrate so much that you see the front fender shaking, the handlebars shake and even the rear taillight is shaking.. If you rev the bike up some.. It will get alittle better, but at the higher RPM's it gets almost so bad that you can't hold on.

Does anyone have any clues what might be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you

I had the same problem and I found out that the owner before me never had tightend the balncerchain it was real lose and had jumped so the counterbalancers was of by a half turn :cry:.

The biggest problem to fix this is to remove the flywheel .

When you done that just losen the tensioner and move the chain so the markings on the balancers ,chain and engineblock match. (dots on balancers and nickel plates on chain) try to get hold of a repairmanual.

Hope this helps the flywheel is a [@#$%&*!] thou.

I have the oil drained and planning to put in Synth... Have the engine cover removed and all the bolts on the Balancer chain loosened.. Just need to get a hold of a torq wrench that can measure 7lbs so I can set it properly..

Or I can play with the bathroom scale until I get the feel for 7lbs and try it that way :cry:

I should have it done by end of the week and will post back results.. I hope that is all that needs to be done...

Looks like adjusting the tension on the BalancerChain solved like 90% of the problem.. There is still some vibration, but it is no where near as bad as it was before.. I believe I didn't quite set the correct tension on the chain. It was kind of hard trying to hold the flywheel in place and also torque the sprocket.

I might still be a little off, so that might explain why there is still some vibration. Or like suggested above, it might be out of alignment. I couldn't find out how to adjust that properly. But it only gets bad at certain rpm's. Next oil change I will try and adjust it better. But the balance chain was definiately part of the problem in this case..

It was easy to adjust,, I just needed a third hand and prob a better torque wrench :cry:

I posted about this problem and finally fixed it yesterday. At first, we had hoped just tightening the balancer chain would suffice. It did cure the changing vibration but there was still some unwanted/unusual vibration. After ordering the gaskets and borrowing a flywheel puller, we finally tore it down enough to see that both balancer shafts were 5 teeth off!!! In addition, the sprocket on the crank did show some unusual wear but I think it will be fine. We lined it all up and it purrs like new! Thanks for all the help here. If your interested, I took pics so just PM me your email address :cry:

Hi guys.

I had the same problem vith vibration on my 94 DR and went in to tighten/adjust the balancer chain. It was very loose and out of alignment. In order to line everything up the way it's shown in the manual I had to turn the engine using the rotor bolt. I got everything back together but now the engine won't turn over. It's as if the engine was locked up. Is it possible that I messed up the timing by turning the engine by hand? Other than making sure the problem was not electrical I haven't really tried anything. Any suggestions would be great....Thanks.

same thing happened to me i put one of the starter gears in backwards. take it apart and flip the gear that meshes with the flywheel... its probably on backwards.

my motor wouldnt even spin id just press the starter and it would click.... took it apart flipped the gear around and it started right up

Thanks alot for posting how to sort problem out.invaluable advice one that even crescent suzuki england could not give.My bike is like a new bike now it is fixed.

Thanks again