Sign in to follow this  

Kelly Smith Redbud holeshot

Does any one rember when Kelley Smith ran away with the holeshot. Possibly one of the 525's first races. This happened when the 426 was out and there was a 4 stroke race on...possibly a Saturday at Redbud. Kelly was on the 525 before it was launched I can't rember the year. What I do rember is that they were about half way to the first corner and he had about a twenty foot lead on a swarming line of blue thumpers(This was during the days when the only good 4 stroke was a Yamaha). It was an awesome sight.... This event was hard evidence that horsepower rules in holeshots. Although near the end of the moto Kelly landed a little shy of larocco's leap, the bike died with a confused leader of about half of lap, standing on the side of the bike. His mechanic leaped the fence to discover that the carb had come loose. I cant rember the outcome, but I was wondering if anybody had any pics of this historic event.....

Maybe I a am cofusing the 525 with the 520, I have to admit I'm not too familiar with KTM.....

Had to of been the 520. I don't remember that one, but I do remember being at the Red Bud national 2-3 years ago when Dowd and Cooper were both on KTM's. Maybe it was more than that because I think Coop was running a 540. Anyway, they were both waaayy out front of the next bike, which I believe was RC. RC was on a Kawi too, so that may indicate the year (2000?). Anyway, I remember seeing a picture of that, may have been in Cycle USA. (If you're from the area, you know the publication.)

It was an awsome picture! I remember seeing it and thinking what a great ad it would have made with a caption over RC's bike that read (RC's factory KX250 - $xx,000.00, Privateer KTM's, $10,000.00, getting a monster holeshot at a national - PRICELESS!!

the carbs on ktms fall off even when tight, over large jumps. josh woods fell off last weekend in texas. they need a better system

Not on just the KTM's Yamaha's are really known for it that is why factory yamaha has a cable around the back of the carb that holds it forward.

It's a machine things happen ,nothimg is ever safe in the motocross world things just break!! Look how hard these bikes are rode.