Sign in to follow this  

Brake Bleed

I changed a brake line on my front brake and now I can't get brake fluid to pump down into the new caliper. How do I bleed all the air out of the line and the caliper??

Jimbo

A lot of ways to fill the system:

1) Open the bleeder at the wheel caliper and run fluid till it spills.

2) Backfill from the caliper up to the bars with a plastic syringe.

3) Fill system as much as you can and remove the wheel caliper so you can hold it higher than the handlebar cylinder to allow air bubbles to go up.

4) Fill system and bleed first from the bottom, then the banjo bolt on the bars. For a final bleed, put a rubber band on the lever overnight.

5) Fill system and pump the lever the same time you open the bleeder on the caliper.

6) More????

I had a HELL of a time getting my dr350 brakes to pump up. I now SWEAR by the back-bleed method. I got an old style oil can from the local hardware store (about $6)--the kind with the long neck and nipple on the end that uses a pump inside to force the "oil" up. I then got a 1' lenth of rubber tubing to snugly fit over the nipple on the can. I filled the can with brake fluid, attached the other end to the bleeder nipple on the caliper, removed the lid, and pumped until the reservoir was full. All air was removed immediatly and it was ready to go. I did front and rear this way in about 15 minutes. WAY too easy--I'll do this from now on before I even try to gravity bleed.

no kidding. My YZF was crazy when it came to fluid. the longer than Honda brake line was also adverse to making it any easier. Do the pump up from the bottom method. It takes a little extra effort to locate all the necessary parts but for a second effort it's awesome to be prepared.

If you have access to a hand held vacuum pump they work great.....Takes about a minute....

The master cylinder just does'nt move that much fluid!!. I normally use a CLEAN! oil can and a piece of vacum tube and,pump it to you expell all the air first then back feed fluid to the master, A vacum pump will also work but few people have one in there toolbox. It,s pretty simple, you need to replace all the air in the line with brake fluid,then you can use the normal bleeding procedures. :cry:

I just picked up the new copy of TW motocross and they have step by step instructions on changing the brake fludid spelled out. Might trying cking their website.

Yeah,

I spent 2 days trying to get my damn brakes blead and finally did the method using a syringe and putting it in through the bottom, took me no more than 3 mins, after wasting hours on other ways the days before. IM glad yamaha adapted the Cr style routing :cry: