Sign in to follow this  

My '03 leaking oil... looks like from the head gaskets?!

Hmmm...

Looks like I got the drip. :cry:

I wash my bike, change the oil... and hit the track. After about a half hour of hard moto'ing... I get oil seapage from the head. It looked like it was coming from the hole (that allows water to escape from the spark plug cavern) on the right side of the head. Then... after pulling the tank and looking down into the spark plug cavern... I see oil all around the gasket, but below it... not above it. Like it's seaping from that gasket, and coming out the weap hole.

Also... It's all over the right side above the water pump after the day at the track. I don't lose so much oil that I can tell when I check it... but damn, it concerns me.

Has anyone had that same or similar problem????

If so, what'd ya do to fix it?

If not, has anyone replaced that head gasket? If so... how hard was it? Hours? And... what needs to come apart to get to it (I'm at work and can't look to see specifics)?

HELP!

I'm not the best at 4 stroke engine mechanics... (now, a 2 smoke... sure). And I do have a service manual on the workbench... which I will look into. But I wanted the "experts" opinion. :cry:

Lemmmeknowwhenyoucan. :cry:

generally it is just a rocker cover gskt at the spark plug tube weeping down and running out the hole because somebody just cked the valves and messed up the gskt-------and these motors are way easy to work on ,---top end comes right appart very straight foward.!!

Thanks man... :cry:

The bike has NEVER been touched by either me, or a mechanic. No valve adjustments as of yet. :cry: I know..I know.. :cry:

I'll have to do one thing at a time. I'll replace the gasket and adjust the valves (since I'm there)... and see where that takes me.

BTW, I've also checked the bolts that hold her all together (head bolts I think) and they're tight. Not a loose one was found :cry: as I hoped for that initially.

Anyone else? Have this issue?

I had the exact same problem and it was the gasket in the spark plug hole. I never had my valve cover off at that time either so I couldn't figure out how the gasket got messed up. I took the valve cover off and sure enough the gasket was pinched. I fixed the gasket and put the valve cover back on and have not had a bit of a problem since.

I had the exact same problem and it was the gasket in the spark plug hole. I never had my valve cover off at that time either so I couldn't figure out how the gasket got messed up. I took the valve cover off and sure enough the gasket was pinched. I fixed the gasket and put the valve cover back on and have not had a bit of a problem since.

OOOOoohhhh... you've got me excited. :cry:

And no, not that way! :cry:

I'll be home tonight tearing apart my beloved CR... And I'm crossing my fingers. THANKS MAN! :cry::cry:

:cry:

OOOOoohhhh... you've got me excited. :lol:

And no, not that way! :cry:

I'll be home tonight tearing apart my beloved CR... And I'm crossing my fingers. THANKS MAN! :cry::cry:

:cry:

Report back and let us know if that was the problem :cry:

Report back and let us know if that was the problem :cry:

Will do...

It may not be tonight. I've got other priorities... but it'll be in the next 3 days/nights. Again... thanks.

And interesting that you've never had the top off, however there's a pinched gasket. How long have you had the bike?? Or how long did it take to start leaking? I've had my bike now for ... hmm, 2yrs. And plenty of hard riding where you'd think it would have leaked sooner. :cry:

I'll let ya know what I find no matter the outcome.

I had the bike for about 1 1/2 years before I took the valve cover off :cry:. It was leaking for some time and I could not figure out what was causing the problem. Posted here and somebody suggested I check the seal. I checked the seal and have never lost another drop.

Okay Jeff...

It sounds so close to my issue.

I mean... exactly actually.

I just kept washing the little bit of oil off and called it... well, seapage. :cry:

I'm so curious...

I've got my lawn mowing done (in the dark) to go out and tear into the CR. "Cover me... I'm going in" :cry:

Damn... too much CS late at night. :cry:

Hmmm...

Well, took the valve cover off and my outer seal (for the valve cover itself) is fine... upon further investigation the spark plug tube seal is also okay, or seems to be. :cry:

When I look further down the spark plug tube, it looks like it's leaking at the base of the tube. :lol: However, the tube doesn't have a lower seal. I think it's pressed into the top of the cylinder head (after looking through my service manual) :cry:. I removed the plug, and I might have a tad bit of oil on the threads, or it's fuel. But it's kind of grimey at the washer of the plug... and you can't tell if there's oil passing the plug or oil sitting at the base of the plug and just causing dirt and grime to collect. Either way, the oil isn't supposed to be there... no matter which way it's coming from. :lol:

I was thinking maybe it's my head gasket at the plug area. But to remove that... EEesssh, that's kind of a lot of time and work. I'm more afraid of it, then I am with no time. And ... if I'm gonna dive this deep, I might as well order up my valves and piston to freshen her up and go stainless. :lol:

Any GURUS listening??? :cry:

I can take some pictures... but it's so hard to tell anything and so dark... I don't think a picture will help the least. :cry:

....the more I think about this, :lol: the more it should be all tore down and inspected. And then... the more bummed I get that it'll cost a few chunks of change. All with Halloween and a week (10 days) in Glamis coming up! Ahhh... :cry:

IDEAS?! ..anyone...anyone...

Johnny

I think that the others are probably right about the seal at the top of the spark plug tube.If it is indeed leaking at the botton of the tube than a new cylinder head is in order.But if it is ,probably just the seal on top,get a new one and place in on the spark plug tube not in the cover and grease up the outer diameter so it is slippery,then put the cover ever so slightly on it with just enough of a gap between the cylinder head and its cover so you can see where the front cover hold down bolts,this makes installation much easier.

Oh yeah the head gasket is not a factor in the leak as you describe it.Clean everything really well and give it a little time to see if you have solved the problem.cheers

Johnny

I think that the others are probably right about the seal at the top of the spark plug tube.If it is indeed leaking at the botton of the tube than a new cylinder head is in order.But if it is ,probably just the seal on top,get a new one and place in on the spark plug tube not in the cover and grease up the outer diameter so it is slippery,then put the cover ever so slightly on it with just enough of a gap between the cylinder head and its cover so you can see where the front cover hold down bolts,this makes installation much easier.

Oh yeah the head gasket is not a factor in the leak as you describe it.Clean everything really well and give it a little time to see if you have solved the problem.cheers

After speaking with a service manager (friend of mine) I took the liberty of realizing what you just said... the head gasket has nothing to do with the lower end of the spark plug tube. DOH! I ended up cleaning everything really well. The interior of the tube, the upper tube seal, and the weap hole. I'm going to ride it one more time and as soon as I see oil, I'll be pulling it off the track and tearing things down. I want to see just where I'm getting the leak from. And yes, I'll be ordering a new upper tube seal tomorrow. I'll replace that after this next ride, leaking or not.

Thanks for your two cents too...

It seems I'm being forced to learn 4 strokes after being a 2 smoker all my life. Interesting bikes I must say. And the 'service manual' makes for great porcelain reading... :cry:

I'll update what I find after next ride. Wish me luck. :cry:

what ever happened with this ??? I have had the same problem (03 crf450r) for the last few rides and i got my new valvecover to sparkplug tube gasket today and installed and its definaetly coming out of the lower portion of the spark plug tube. It IS NOT coming up through the spark plug threads or down from the valvecover to tube gasket . . .so like mentioned i will have to get a new head ??? What upgrades should i do at this same time. . . I know this wasnt my original thread but for the sake of space please help !!!

The only way oil can come out of that hole is if the spark plug hole gasket in the valve cover is leaking, or if the spark plug well is leaking where it is pressed into the head.

well it started leaking after a hard day of riding the dunes so i guess i could have overheated it and caused the press fit to fail . . . so what im saying is it the pressed part reparable or must i scrap it ???

I don't have a clue. I'd talk to Ron Hamp about it. If it were me, and I knew it was leaking out of where the well is pressed into the head, I'd probably just buy a new head.