Sign in to follow this  

Answer to high speed flat/sweeper cornering questions

[understand the terrain] The right tires (of course) are a good part of success with flat corners/sweepers. The key is to maintain a steady throttle position & get your foot out there in front of you as you approach the corner (This keeps confidence up). Position your bottom on the outer portion of the seat, keep your eyes focused on the exit and learn to embrace some degree of slide. Hit the throttle hard just past the Apex and you're sure to be ahead of your buddies! :cry:

In the dirt, I prefer to stand on high speed sweepers. Keep the outside peg weighted and use your knees to lean the bike into the corner a bit. This not only allows you to absorb that pot hole in the exit, but also allows you to see farther ahead.

I agree with the standing. As you lean forward it will lighten the rear and allow you to crack open the throttle to initiate the slide and use the throttle to maintain the slide. Shift your weight back as you exit the turn to plant the rear tire and increase traction. It's such a rush when you get this technique nailed! The standing position also lowers the overall center of gravity by putting the weight on the pegs as opposed to the seat when sitting.

I'm gonna throw another vote for standing/feet up.

I had the joy of doing several miles of gravel twisties in northern Wisconsin this weekend. Click her down to 4th, lean forward, weight on outside peg, shove outside knee into tank, roll it on and hang it out!

Standing up weight over the bars outside knee pushing the tank and weight on the INSIDE peg works better. Went to a Danny Hamel clinic once and he taught us that. He also demonstrated it around 80 mph in sandy whoops! That guy was amazing.

Stand up, sit down, depends on the terrain and the sharpness of the corner. Assertive riding is key. A lack of confidence on a dirt bike will have you winding up on your ear when you panic and chop the throttle when you should be winding it :cry:

If there is a berm and it is a sharper corner, I love it when I can drift both wheels and let the berm catch me and change my direction like a pool ball hitting a bumper. The DRZ does smash into those berms with a bit more force than the old 2 smoke though. The first time I did it, I thought I was gonna bend the swingarm :cry:

I concur with standing when traversing faster terrain. I practice a lot of "leg steering" on my street bike as it helps to keep the arms relaxed and the hold on the grips nice and light when cranking it through the corners. I will make it a point to consiously think about it during my next off road ride. Danny Hamel is the best there ever was in the off road world :cry:

It has been my experience (about 18 yrs) on track and trail that it is most important to keep ones center of gravity low. My solution was for a gentleman who encoutered a loose flat corner with a flat exit and found himself slowing way too much. Standing up on the bike gives you a higher center of gravity & puts your feet and reaction further away from the ground in the event the bike starts to wash-out. You want to learn about how to attack a flat corner, watch a Flat Tracker go around.

:cry: