Sign in to follow this  

Valve Shims for the TE's

Does anyone have a source or part numbers for the '04 TE510 valve shims? What increments do they come in? Pretty soon, I'll probably need shims that are .001 or .002 shorter than stock.

ktl...

The Husky valve shims change in .05mm increments. That is about .002 inches.

Dennis Kirk sells a box of 7.48 mm shims for only $45 or so. Go to their site and do a search and you'll find them. Search for valve shim and the click on the off-road link they provide.

I ordered them last Thursday overnight and they never showed up. I called to check on the status of my order and they never heard of me. So I ended up buying my shims at the dealer anyway.

Here is a tip. All my valves were tight by .002 inches which again is .05mm. Well the stock exhaust shims were 2.35 mm's and my stock intake shims were 2.40. All I did was swap my exhaust shims for my intakes and buy two new 2.30mm shims for the exhaust.

I will still order the Dennis Kirk kit but I'll wait until October to make sure I get charged on next month's credit card.

Greg

The Husky valve shims change in .05mm increments. That is about .002 inches.

Dennis Kirk sells a box of 7.48 mm shims for only $45 or so. Go to their site and do a search and you'll find them. Search for valve shim and the click on the off-road link they provide.

I ordered them last Thursday overnight and they never showed up. I called to check on the status of my order and they never heard of me. So I ended up buying my shims at the dealer anyway.

Here is a tip. All my valves were tight by .002 inches which again is .05mm. Well the stock exhaust shims were 2.35 mm's and my stock intake shims were 2.40. All I did was swap my exhaust shims for my intakes and buy two new 2.30mm shims for the exhaust.

I will still order the Dennis Kirk kit but I'll wait until October to make sure I get charged on next month's credit card.

Greg

Did we determine that these Dennis Kirk shims are the correct shims for the TE's? I remember in one of the threads that there was a question of the diameter of them not being quite right. Also does the kit give you adequate assortment of shims? Could you provide me with a DK part number so I can be sure I've got the right kit? Thanks in advance for you help. :cry:

Here is a link to what I think is the proper kit. It is DK pn: 148751

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=148751&store=Main&productId=p148751&catId=1&leafCatId=11009

Is this the right one?

ktl...

That is the kit I tried to order and they never fulfilled it. When it is time to re-adjust my valves I will buy that kit. Husky says their shims are to be 7.50 mm and these are 7.48. To me that is close enough but I suppose there is some risk?

Greg

I've been using the Dennis Kirk/Hot Cam shims in my TE250 and 450. They are the same diameter as the stock shims. I have the kit with 1.2 to 2.4 mm shims.

got to your local honda or yamaha dealer and get the shims from them! i payed about 2$ each canadian and have a selection now so i can do them as i please. these are 7.5mm and come in the same incriments as the husky ones.

one word of warning though if your thinking of getting an 05 you will have to get the 9.5mm shims as they have changed. I know this as i had to do a shim change at the six days in poland this past month lucky i had wr shims with me also. :cry: :cry:

got to your local honda or yamaha dealer and get the shims from them! i payed about 2$ each canadian and have a selection now so i can do them as i please. these are 7.5mm and come in the same incriments as the husky ones.

one word of warning though if your thinking of getting an 05 you will have to get the 9.5mm shims as they have changed. I know this as i had to do a shim change at the six days in poland this past month lucky i had wr shims with me also. :cry: :cry:

I called around to the Yamaha, KTM and Honda dealers and they all said they couldn't do anything without a part number for the specific part. They are so lame and lazy, I swear. I called Motorcycle Accessories which is a shop that carries everything and are not motorcycle brand specific. He looked at their selection of shims and said ya, we carry 7.5 mm shims. And the other shops wonder why I don't like to buy parts from them... they are such a hassle and unwilling to help. So I've got a source for the 7.5's. They'll even take my old shims in on trade. Thanks for everyone's advice and input. :cry:

ktl...

just tell them that you need them for an R1 or R6 (yamaha) or cbr 600rr or 900rr (honda) then they can look up the # and size then order them! (boy what ever happened to customer service)!!!! :cry: :cry: