Sign in to follow this  

Baja type headlights

So I was thinking of putting some "Baja type" headlights on my DRZ after I sold my XR which had a simular set (XR 250 Baja Japanese spec bike). I have seen a couple of DRZ's with these setups here at thumpertalk. I went to the Baja designs website but I really think their dual headlights are far to expensive. It would be easy to buy some headlights but the bracket maybe a problem to fabricate. I know from my XR the basic shape it should be and on that bike the bracket was attached to the upper fork legs. Has anyone done a simular diy project ? I just do not like the mini candle light headlights on most dual purpose bikes. Also if I run two bulbs at the same time what kind of wattage bulbs am I looking at without doing mods to the electrics ?

I dont think fabricating mounts for the DRZ would be a problem at all --

there's a spot above the forks that Suzuki mounts reflectors for the "S" on... that might work just fine...

If, and it is a big if, I get my engine done for the 24 hour I will be building a set for my bike. As to the wattage, which bike do you have E/S or K?

I agree on the price, I have seen one other that is a little less money but still a lot more than it would cost me to build one.

I have a S model which should give me more power than from an E or K ? I bought two PIAA's today that came with 55w bulbs each, the kit also included a relay. Is it safe to run 110w's ?

The S puts out the same 200 watts as the E. The K only puts out 150 watts but doesn't have a battery to keep charged.

Is that 110 watts in addition to your regular headlight? If so you are looking at 165/175 watt draw. That is really pushing the limits and would end up draining your battery. The stator only puts out the full 200 watts at 5000 rpm. At slower engine speeds it puts out less. Are you doing this for a race or just normal night riding? The relay only allows you to use a low amp circuit to switch the lights on and off.

I'm going to remove the stock headlight and only run the two halogens so it's going to be 110w but offcourse the taillight, speedo, indicators and other electric stuff must be added as well. If need be I could always go for lower wattage bulbs but I want as bright as possible as I want as this is the reason for removing the small headlight. The extra weight does not bother me at all. Is it possible to run the power directly fron the current headlight switchgear ? Think I will be okay with the 110w ?

Thanks again really apreciate the advice :cry:

As long as you are using a relay then your headlight switch will work fine. The purpose of the relay is so you can control a high amp circuit with a low amp switch, also allows you to run much smaller wires without that much drop.

I would be tempted to run the lights into a three way switch so you could turn off the lights when you want to start your bike, use postion 1 or low beam for one light, and use postition 2 or high beam to turn on both. That way when you are just putting around or going low rpms for a while you could turn off one of the lights. At higher rpms your stator should be able to keep up fine with 110 watts.

uuh ooh, i feel the urge to go to the laboratory (ok garage) and create a headlight setup. i have always thought baja lights are cool.

i think one of the reasons the BD headlights are so expensive is that they use expensive top quality light assemblies. some hella lights could be used for a cheaper setup.