Sign in to follow this  

Smallest ,Lightest, full featured GPS....

I have been using GPS for quite some time,and always wished that someone made a small, light weight unit, that did not take up to much real estate on my handlebars.

Well...that unit right now for me is the Garmin Geko 301.It comes in three models, but i like the top of the line one i show in my pictures, as it is equiped with a stationary compass( most others only read when your moving) thus it makes it easy to see your direction, when you stop on the trail.One problem though, is it needs to be level like a normal compass to work when stationary.Thus you need to either keep it level or be able to rotate it slightly when you stop as i do now.I have it mounted on thier standard handlebar mount available separtely.They did offer an oversize mount, but i don't see it on thier website anymore.I bored mine out to suit 1 1/8 bars and used the supplied rubber strip underneath it for isolation.So far no vibration issues.

One other neat feature is also the altimeter for you guys living at eleavation.. :cry:

158_5862small.jpg

158_5861small.jpg

158_5863small.jpg

And one picture showing it mounted on the KTM.I also use it on the KDX.Swapping them between bikes is a breeze.

158_5864small.jpg

I saw a garmin GPS system at Sportmart the other day that is on a strap and you wear it like a watch....a little bigger than my watch but looked to be compy enough to not be bothersome.....noy sure what features it had.... :cry:

The geko looks like a nice unit...it is very small.

I really like the Etrex legend I have...The display is just the right size to follow along on the map as you ride.

That is about the only thing I can see that I would not like about the geko...no mapping.

I saw a garmin GPS system at Sportmart the other day that is on a strap and you wear it like a watch....a little bigger than my watch but looked to be compy enough to not be bothersome.....noy sure what features it had.... :cry:

Your right...I lied.. :cry: There is a smaller unit from Garmin i was already aware of.However it is intended as a joggers device and not really intended for mounting on a vehicle or motorcycle.But i don't see a reason not to give it a try.I used to use a Casio wrist watch that had a built in compass for sometime, before switching to GPS...worked well enough to get a bearing.. :cry:

Here is what the wrist garmin looks like:

pt-Forerunner201Large01.jpg

Both of those seem like nice little units, I went for the Rhino 130.

It wasnt cheap $280, but I plan on keeping it for a while.

The radio & peer to peer location sending was a feature I wanted.

The altimeter over time graphs are also nice. Im hooked

on GPS now. The garmin US Topo software is pretty cool :cry: :cry:

i226604vr01.jpg

I have been looking at an Endurance computer for my XR, but the GPS systems look very cool. How accurate are they for computing high speed, average speed, low speed, time spent riding, etc... Would a GPS provide similar information to a Panoram or Endurance computer? I can only afford one or the other, so any advice would be helpful.

Your right...I lied.. :cry: There is a smaller unit from Garmin i was already aware of.However it is intended as a joggers device and not really intended for mounting on a vehicle or motorcycle.But i don't see a reason not to give it a try.I used to use a Casio wrist watch that had a built in compass for sometime, before switching to GPS...worked well enough to get a bearing.. :cry:

There are two versions of the wrist-watch type device. One, the Forerunner, is a joggers device. However, the other, the ForeTrex is a full-blown GPS with the same features as the Geko. Of course, they came out with this just after I bought our third GPS. I'll have to break one before I buy another unit any time soon.

From Garmin's site:

"Sporting an ergonomic wristband, the Foretrex 201 is similar in design to the Forerunner 201, yet is chocked full of GPS navigation features found in Garmin's popular Geko 201 unit."

Garmin Foretrex 201

Garmin Foretrex 101

Do you happen to know how quickly it refreshes on the altimeter reading? Could it be also used for rate of climb or descent when paragliding? I am looking for a unit to use for both the bike and a powered paraglider.

Both of those seem like nice little units, I went for the Rhino 130.

It wasnt cheap $280, but I plan on keeping it for a while.

The radio & peer to peer location sending was a feature I wanted.

The altimeter over time graphs are also nice. Im hooked

on GPS now. The garmin US Topo software is pretty cool :cry: :cry:

How far does the peer to peer function work? -- I've been considering buying two Rino's; one for me and one for the ol' lady...Id like to do some solo stuff in the future and thought it might be a good way for her to find me in the event I need help-- can she track me from home while I ride ?

The eTrex Vista is a nice unit too. It's a compact size that mounts on the handlebars and loads of features. I got mine at www.gpscity.com . This site www.cycoactive.com has cool motorcycle related gps accessories such as hardened power cords, RAM mounts etc. Just my 2 cents, but sure do like the Vista.

That Foretrex 201 looks really neat. Someone tell my why I shouldn't buy one of those. :cry:

Because it is cheaper than my Magellan and has all the same features. :cry: :cry:

do not buy the foretrex wrist model if you think you might ride in the woods or hilly terrain. i have the rhino on my moto, it is great. my wife and i train with trail running and mountain biking and we have two of the foretrex models. they are neat gadgets, but they constantly lose signals it any kind of woods or terrain. it makes it very frustrating. i have even tried to attach it to my head with a baseball cap but i still had problems.

do not buy the foretrex wrist model if you think you might ride in the woods or hilly terrain. i have the rhino on my moto, it is great. my wife and i train with trail running and mountain biking and we have two of the foretrex models. they are neat gadgets, but they constantly lose signals it any kind of woods or terrain. it makes it very frustrating. i have even tried to attach it to my head with a baseball cap but i still had problems.

I feel a little better now that I know they suck. Thanks man! :cry: My Magellan was expensive but it works great and has held-up to a lot of wicked punishment.

How far does the peer to peer function work?

They say 5 miles with the GMRS radio, less in the mountains. All

depends on your radio reception. Would be cool if it actually

sent to a SAT & back, then you could link to almost anyone.

Ive seen pics of the military using the Rhino 130 in Iraq

to keep track of each other. You can keep track of 50 contacts and

trace back the routes of 20. You can also pick a new destination

and send it to all contacts for navigation. You can set proximity

alarms for contacts and keep your location secure from polling also.

One of these with an integrated SAT phone instead of radio would be best

toy/rescue device around...!!!

Seems like more & more dirt bikers are commenting on how convienent GPS is. Could someone point me somewhere where I could learn a little bit about the gadgets. I don't know the first thing about them but I'd like to study up a bit.

Thanks

:confused:Will any of these units hold the track back map? Mine will only hold one ride then runs out of memory.I would like to have a unit that will hold the path that I have taken so I can store multiple rides and use them later.It's hard to remember where all the good trails are.

I am a HAM radio guy and there is a system used by a lot of HAMs called APRS. (Auto Position Reporting).

Its kinda cool a lot of guys set up towers that listen on certain frequencies....

You can hookup your GPS to your HAM radio and have it transmit your coord at intervals. The towers listening in can then post it on the internet and can transmit other peoples coord back to your radio which can display other HAMs as waypoints on your GPS. Its really trick. If say I had one in place in a vehicle or on my bike you could track me on the web even!

Kenwood has a handheld HAM radio which will hook right up to a GPS and perform APRS functions. The advantage being with HAM radio you can get out further to talk to people and get position reports of others from further away. Need a license but just a thought for those of you interested in all these "nerd" gadgets. :cry:

You can also use autopatch on many HAM repeaters which lets you dial up phone numbers. :cry: Its really cool stuff. :cry:

Here in this county there is a repeater network system I know of and used to use that is linked through the whole county. I can pretty much use a handheld radio in about all of El Dorado, Much of Sacramento county and Amador county and be able to get a clear signal out to people in those areas and even to some of Nevada.

There are also repeaters that link up and down the whole state. Just trick toys thats all. :cry: