Sign in to follow this  

Cant get the stupid baffle out

Hey guys, i finally got the right jet and put it in, took out the snorkle, but i cant seem to get the baffle out. The whole black piece comes out right? I tried tapping it with a hammer and using pliers and channel locks to wiggle it out, but i couldnt, any tricks guys? BTW this is for a '04 xr 250

I had the same problem and all i did was i took the bolts out and rode the bike and it just happened to fall out.

---------

1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter, snorkel removed, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90

I had the same problem. It took about 45 minutes but I took a large screwdriver and inserted it in the exhaust oulet and started rocking it back and forth, then pull with the pliers, then rock some more, then pull some more, repeat till it comes out. The Chrome exhaust tip and the spark arrester screen will remain with the exhaust pipe. Then, in my son's words, it will sound like a real motorcycle.

Just get like a 2inch or so hole saw and cut it out. Or just get a drill bit and drill around the outside of it and hit it hard with a hammer and it will come out that way I think. Or just buy my old stock pipe for 30 bucks with baffle already removed. :cry:

Hope this will help...the red part is where you'll have all the problems. As you pull the baffle that red flange try’s to expand. That's why it's a slow going process to get it out.

XR250R3Baffle.jpg

Great picture! To get the baffle out of my XR400 I held the stainless tip that goes back in the bike, and pounded the blue part on the floor. I had cut the screen off first. It only slightly mushroomed the blue part and popped right out. Be sure you remove the screw holding it in first.

I finally get it out after breaking 1 cheap screwdriver(the tip off it), it was hard, but worth it, it sounds real nice now, sounds like a thumper should, although it is quite loud, and was wondering who makes another baffle for it that less restrictive than stock and will still give me the better throttle response, and at the same time keeping the noise down a little more than no baffle.

I wasn't real aggressive with the screwdriver. I inserted one with a round shaft into the exhaust opening and simply started pushing it from side to side. It did flare the exhaust opening of the baffle but not to the extent that anyone would notice if it were reinstalled. It may have taken as long as it did because I didn't want to damage the baffle or the exhaust tip, which I didn't.

i dont care if the baffle got a little messed up looking, it will function perfectly normal if i decide to reinstall it.