Sign in to follow this  

stock verses aftermarket

I have read several popics on here, about defective parts,Do you remember when the reason we purchased aftermarket parts was because the factory parts were to expensive, Seems to be a shift in that philosphy now, If a stock spring is 8.00 and an aftermarket is 50.00, Look at the prices on the exaust coming out now, Are the factorys really that bad now, Has there been that much change in there quality control, or is it that in order to build a bike that is affordable they must use cheaper components, If theres a better way I'm all for it, but at what expense where does it end, Hell look at the way gate fees and entrees have in increased in the last few years, Hell someone give me some good news.

Well... I've been around for a while (mxing for 35 yrs). The way I rememeber it (in the old days) aftermarket stuff was hit or miss. Most of the time parts didn't work very well. Not so nowadays, in my opinion. I've had very good results with the latest aftermarket stuff. Yes it is pricey but, the aftermarket vendors have the time to focus on improving individual parts where the OEM manufacturer does not.

Hey, it could be worse. Imagine if parts were being marketed in a way similar to the medical industry. I can remember one that was. A guy was trying to sell me some knee braces and he kept pushing me to get a doctor to prescribe them when I didn't yet have any knee problems. I just wanted the price for buying them direct and he didn't want to give it to me. Finally, I got it and it turned out that the prescribed price was several times as much as the over-the-counter price!

srry. but i only have more bad news to add. All these bikes cost maybe around $2000 to make (obviously it varies a little bit) by this I mean that is the price of the materials, manufacturing, and assembly. We have to pay 5600 (obvioulsy this figure varies model to model) because the factory wants to make a buck, the warehouse wants to make a buck, then your local vendor wants to make a buck and then the dealer wants to make a buck. Well, that's great that all these people want to make money but the bike is worth maybe half of what we pay. That is also the main reason we see so much depreciation in value.

$2000? Thats way less than dealer cost, They dont cost $2000 to biuld. To be honest, there isnt to much mark up in these bikes. As for parts, factory parts are much better. Just look at brake pads. Aftermarket will last you about two to three months while stock should last you about 5.

There isnt much mark up from the dealer, but you better be damn sure that kawasaki marks them up alot. Dealer cost is 4800 for kxf's and rmz's.

Think fo the fact that there is a ton of development work that goes into the bikes, they use some pretty exotic materials stock (titanium, magnesium, etc). They are ultra high performance out of the box and they have to be shipped from japan to the US and then stored in warehouses...this all costs alot....if you pay retail its a good deal, if you pay less than retail, its a great deal.

guys, you're missing what i said. First of all the dealer price includes shipping (shipping isn't included in the cost to make the bike, it is just one more guy you have to pay in order to get a bike) I agree shipping to the U.S. from Japan is expensive, but guess what, that has nothing to do with the production of the bike. It has to do with you getting the bike. Now, i don't really want to argue with you on the quality of aftermarket vs. factory parts. However, aftermarket parts aren't always made to last longer as is the case with the brake pads, you must give up some service life for better performance. You must agree however that aftermarket exhausts are better than stock exhausts (at least I hope so if you're paying over 400 for some systems and even a grand at some places for the White Bros.)