Sign in to follow this  

GPS Questions

I’ve got a couple of GPS questions and I know several of you on this board use them. I’ve currently got a Garmin Legend and it works very well. However, when you have the Topo maps loaded onto it, it can get real “busy” on that little screen especially for a “non color” unit. You can’t tell a road from a stream from an elevation line.

So, I was thinking about getting a color one with a little bigger screen. I’m looking at the GPSMAP 76cs and the GPSMAP 60cs (both made by Garmin)There is also a new version of the Legend and Vista with a color display. (the Legend C has increased memory as well) and now both have USB connectivity.

Anyway, I’m curious if anyone has any experience with any of these units and what you think (pros/cons)

Thanks,

Keith

Get the 76cs. The screen is different from the legend, higher resolution. Turn off the map detail if you're following a track, it just shows your line.

Can you completely turn the map detail off? I seem to remember on my Legend, you can only turn it down to "Least" I don't have it in front of me right now. Also, I'm assuming that there is no need to load the Topo maps for your Dualsport ride if you're turning the maps off anyway. Just download the track at the ride and follow the line.

With the 76 you can turn the maps off. But it's nice to turn them on to check points of reference and interest. I wouldnt buy anything till I went to a place that had them side by side so you can compare. Unless of course you trust me, then just get the 76cs and be happy!