Sign in to follow this  

05 450SX or 05 250SX?

I am going to buy an 05 KTM SX, but I'm unsure about which bike to get 450 or 250 (2stroke). I plan to ride/race mx and maybe some arenacross. How are the 4 strokes on the tight tracks? How about the maintenance vs the 2 stroke? I currently ride a 97 CR250.

Thanks in advance,

Brent

I don't MX so I can't help with the bike selection questions. The 4s are more week to week maint but only slightly so. You have a little more complex oil change and you have two filters to maintain. I only change my filters out every 3rd oil change after break in and do my oil changes at about 200 miles. You'll need to do valve adjusts, too. Again, not hard but a little more committment during the riding season.

The payback on the maint is that you'll have to do less frequent topends, not have to buy or mix premix, much less pipe repairs, no power valve cleaning, etc.

We really need more info on you to be able to give an accurate reccomendation. How big are you? How much experience do you have? What is your experience (MX/AX/Trails, etc.) What do you like/dislike with your current ride? What do you want/not want besides maint. and handling?

If your doing areana cross I'd get the 250SX, cause its lighter. For open MX the 525SX would be cool.

One of the MX rags has a writeup on the 525SX, go read that. If you have to be in the 250/450 class then I guess I'd take the 250 for outdoors too.

Either way you'll be getting a good, bike, the 05's are MUCH better then the 04's. The 30% stiffer frame and suspension adjustments allow you to put more of the awesoem KTM power

to the ground.

Good luck,

Thanks OHV, that's exactly what I needed to know. A 250SX it is. I guess I'll hold off on the thumper a few more years. I rode a friends 02 CRF450 today. It was nice but I like the explosive rush of the 2 smokes.