Sign in to follow this  

?'n - Your jumping the bike and the backend gets a little high...

Question:

Your jumping the bike and the backend gets a little high on you. What will alter the attitude of the back tire to go down giving you a flatter landing?

a. Blipping the throttle while in the air, increasing the rotation of the rear tire.

b. Hitting the toe brake stopping the rotation of the rear tire.

Ouch..... haha, the way that i got rid of it was to give the thoratle (sp?) a little blip at the top of the jumps face even if i didnt want much/any air. This keeps you nice and levelish. Also leaning back (sticking your but out) helps me but im not sure its the right thing to do. And finally revving will bring the front up, hitting the brakes will make you do a nosedive.

Actually you have to slow down your compression. Lots of people think that you need to work with the rebound but it's in fact a compression issue.

a. Blipping the throttle while in the air, increasing the rotation of the rear tire.

Welcome to TT, Faralon. Don't believe everything you read here (a and b, jeeze!), sometimes guys are teasing some.

Brake tapping is a more advanced skill that takes time to get right, especially on a thumper where you have to blip the throttle a little as you pull in the clutch, or you risk a stall. This is the order you should work on jumping stuff, IMO:

-1- Learn to balance well on the pegs at takeoff, so that the bike lifts you up by just the pegs, not the handlebars or seat or knees. See the threads in the MX Techniques TT forum for lots more info on balance and footpegs, etc.

-2- If you do end up with the front end lower than you like for the landing, open the throttle, and this will stop your forward rotation and even lift the front end some, depending on the bike and what gear you're in. You'll sometimes hear a bike in the air go all the way to the rev limiter if the guy jumping is using a "panic rev" to save a nose-low landing. Keep in mind that nose low landings are generally fine if you're landing on the downslope of a jump. They may feel a little uncomfortable if you're not used to it, but once you start matching your wheels to the downslope of landings, it feels really smooth and cool! :cry:

-3- If you end up with the front wheel way too high on a jump, then you can brake tap to stop a wheel from rotating, which tilts the bike forward (conservation of angular momentum). If you're way nose high and the landing is smooth, the easist thing to do is tap the front brake, since you're covering it with one finger anyway. This is a little problematic, though, because if you get in the habit of tapping the front brake, then you might do it sometime when you will land front wheel first in soft stuff, and the stopped wheel will dig in and auger you in good. Front brake tapping is not usually a good thing to do -- I would only consider front brake tapping if I'm having problems getting to the back brake pedal and I'm so front high that even with the front tap I'll still land on my rear wheel. The front wheel has less rotary inertia than the rear also, which means that it won't help rotate you forward as much as a rear brake tap. The most common time that you would use a rear brake tap for is when you need to really be on the gas hard at takeoff in order to clear the jump (like when a double is right out of a corner) -- since this will probably leave you nose high in the air, it's nice to be able to tap the rear brake to rotate forward to match the downslope landing of the double.

So my advice would be for you to work on your takeoff balance so that you generally don't have to do much in the air to correct your pitch, and then after that, you can work on rear brake tapping and revving on an easy practice tabletop jump.

Good luck, have fun, and work your way up slowly. -Mike- :cry:

Hit the rear brake when your rear tire is already higher than the rest of the bike? :cry:

Give that a try and see how it works :cry:

Seriously though, hitting the rear brakes will only make it worse and make you nose dive even more. Now if your front tire is too high, then you tap the rear brake :cry:

Actually you have to slow down your compression. Lots of people think that you need to work with the rebound but it's in fact a compression issue.

I made a few adjustments with my rebound and it made all the difference for me. :cry:

I made a few adjustments with my rebound and it made all the difference for me. :cry:

It does seem right but compression is the right way to do that. By slowing down the compression, you compress less on the face of the jump giving less spring to expand. So you get less kick.

If you slow down your rebound to compensate, your going have problems with chop and whoops. IE you'll start swapping. If you don't believe me and obviouly you don't, call a suspension guy or check a suspension site on how to tune it properly. If you know how to tune them right for each track your at, you'll be surprised at how much better you ride.

Fathom, berkeman,

Great answers, thank you! Jumping is the one thing I really want to be able to do and the one thing that is the hardest for me to practice.

Jacobs, I've doing this for a while (recovering from a broken femure and a broken pelvis in two places) and I have one peice of advice on riding.

Learn how to realy ride the bike. The basics first such as how fast can I go into a turn before I grab the brakes and then how soon can I be back wide open again. This little tidbit will make you the fast guy. Anyone can jump with time but can you corner? Can you hit the turns that everyone else slows do for, can you do it WFO?

It's really all about proper form on the bike and making the bike go where you want it to be. This stuff is generally made much easier by someone watching you knows what he's looking for. As your getting these basics instilled, you perceptions of track distance and closure rates on that turn and that triple that has a funny pitch to it.

Basically the jumping comes with time and we all want to go do it first because it seemed so cool at first but if you lay off that stuff and work learning out to really ride a bike, all that secondary stuff like brake tapping, dragging a front brake for that rut, all that stuff works into what your doing.

Important!! Learn how to tune your suspension. I adjusted mine slightly almost everytime I went to a new track. Either corners would be deeper or there be a funny pitched jump, etc. Go and make a couple of clicks and the bike goes where I want it to. Bike will jump right also.

To make my point, we have a large tabletop that shoots you to the moon and its long. I won't do it, no way no how! There a kid out there doing the table thinking hes bad. Cool, somebody to play with. I jumped in behind him and thought I was going to get play a little, Wrong, the guy almost had to put his feet on the ground and turn the bike. Pitiful, the guy could jump the biggest jump at the track but I jumped after he went by and smoked him... Bad. First turn I caught him, it wasn't even an challenge. He was on the brakes when I was rolling on the gas in a rut. Wide open sweeper with good ruts, may roll out of the gas for sec but.... This guy is braking hard to get it.

The man could jump. Balls of Steel but the dude couldn't ride. The slowest guy in our bunch embarrassed this guy. LEarn how to corner and how to control the bike. Lots of other stuff develops at the same time. Your seeing guys doing stuff, your beginning to learn how to gauge speeds, lots of stuff. Don't rush the jumps, if you do it right, when you do start doing them, you have alot more confidence in yourself and you be safer.

That's truly great advice, Fathom. Jumping well is definitely not about balls. It's about balance and control. Back when berkeboy and I were learning to ride the dirt, and he was on his XR-50 and DS-80, I was pretty nervous watching him as he jumped higher and higher. But that was because he and I were still learning to ride, and didn't really understand what a key the footpeg balance thing was.

Then we lucked into the balance thing, and really improved in overall riding, cornering and jumping. So now when I watch him ride a track and outjump other kids, I'm actually not nervous at all watching him. Weird. But it's because I can see his balance and control while he pretty much flows over the jumps, while the other kids slow and tense up over the jumps. And because he jumps the same way that I do now -- with open hands and a giant smile on my face :cry:

Heed Fathom's advice, and work your way up. You need to feel the balance at takeoff (the bike lifts you up by the footpegs and nothing else) on small jumps before you start pinning the bigger stuff. :cry:

I would slow down your rebound alittle! I perfer to use preload to give you lift off the face of the jump, if your back end is being kicked up you need to slow the rebound!

Question:

Your jumping the bike and the backend gets a little high on you. What will alter the attitude of the back tire to go down giving you a flatter landing?

I would lean back... or if it was serious, panic rev and lean back!