Tire size question, and recommendation needed.

I currently have a Dunlop 756, stock size 110/100-18 on my '98 XR400R. It's in poor shape and I want to replace it with a Michelin S12, but because Michelin measures tire width from the outside of the knobs, I am unsure which size to get... a 120/90-18 or the 130/80-18. I have not been able to find tire data that shows all the dimensions of both Dunlop and Michelin to make my selection. Maybe I'm being too anal about this, but I want to get the best size of Michelin S12 for my bike.

By the way, I have done several searches and have not found the information I am looking for. I have found a few tire data sites and charts, but none that list comparable sizes between Michelin and other manufacturers, nor any that list all the dimensions (outside the knobs as well as to the casing).

Will the 130/80-18 work on my bike (will the knobs hit anything, like the chain or swingarm)?

What size do you XR400 owners recommend?

Thanks, from a true newbie!

Ted ?

• Experts

The Michelins are great tires but they are not my pick for 4 strokes. They seem to get too much traction. I can't slide the rear nor drive off corners as well. I prefer Pirelli MT16 tires . If you have a 440 kitted bike I prefer the 120/100X18 ( 450x18 ) and if stock you probably would like the 110/100X18 ( 400x18 abit large 400 ) . I like the Scorpion Pro or MT83 front or the MT16 ft. I find I can go faster with these tires over everything else.

Cher'o,

Dwight

• 4 years later...