Sign in to follow this  

Rear Suspension

I was just wondering I know you say to leave the rear suspension alone but I just wanted to make mine a little softer but I tried with the two strange nuts at the top and they will not move. What can I do?

I was just wondering I know you say to leave the rear suspension alone but I just wanted to make mine a little softer but I tried with the two strange nuts at the top and they will not move. What can I do?

They do move. Try loosening the top nut first. The first nut is a lock nut, the second is the preload. Just use a nammer and start hitting!

Phill,

Please try and use a little more instruction if you are going to inform someone of how to perform an adjustment on their bike. Please..... That was a very poor response.

Phill,

Please try and use a little more instruction if you are going to inform someone of how to perform an adjustment on their bike. Please..... That was a very poor response.

Ok, sorry. Didn't think it was hard to adjust it. Lets try again...

Ok, if you look on the left hand side of the bike, and you look at the shock, there are two nuts like you stated. They look like thick thick clutch plates. Take a punch and loosen the top0 nut. Once that nut it loosened, you can tighten/loosen the lower nut to adjust the preload. As you would think, tightening the nut means you will have less preload, loosening the nut means that you will have more preload...

Coeshow, he was just basically asking if those two nuts were the ones to adjust. I just basically said, bingo, that's the ones, the top is a lock nut, the lower is a adjusting nut.

Sorry if you got all offended.

It depends on your mechanical ability and if you have the proper tools for the job. I drift punch of the proper size and length, along with a good hammer and a steady hand, will be needed to loosen the top nut away from the lower nut. If you are going to attempt this and have never done it before, be VERY careful as you could easily damage the nuts, and/or injure yourself in the attempt. It will be easier if the bike is on a stand with no load on the suspension. BE CAREFUL. These nuts can be VERY tight. Better yet, enlist some help so you don't knock your bike over as well.

I'm not offended... I just don't want someone to hurt themselves or damage parts or both.

I'm not offended... I just don't want someone to hurt themselves or damage parts or both.

Dont really think it's possible. If you can hit a nail, you can hit a punch to loosen a bolt :cry:

Dont really think it's possible. If you can hit a nail, you can hit a punch to loosen a bolt :cry:

in other words.... you got served :cry:

You can use a punch & hammer like 230F said or buy or borrow a large spanner wrench. Your motorcycle shop should have a universal one for under $10 that will work for you.

Too make "a little softer" you'll want to loosen the compression nut. Just make sure you have 2 MM of preload minimum.

:cry:

Thanks for all the clear information and safety tips. I just asked cause when I started doing it It was just indenting in the nut and not even moving it I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

Thanks for all the clear information and safety tips. I just asked cause when I started doing it It was just indenting in the nut and not even moving it I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

Yeah, it's on there really tight. You'll be banging the hammer for a good 5 minutes or so.

Make sure you are loosening it also. If you hit the back so that the back spins to the right, that loosens the bolt...

i don't think there is enough room to do this but sum times a big pair of channel lock pliers works good for these sorta aplications once you get the nut thing loosend up :cry:

If there was enough room it would have been tight. But it also might have been a little easier. I think i might change it a little again I might try that.

The lock nut doesn't have to be gorilla tight. People seem to want to really overdo the lock nut. It needs to be secure and it doesn't take very much. Once you're happy, check it's tightness after a ride. Mark it with a Sharpie pen and watch for movement. If it has moved, sock it again. The big thing is that the notches need to be offset. If they are aligned, the nuts will walk together as a pair.

:cry: