Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on mods for my 230

I have an '04 CRF230 that is all stock. I like the feel of the bike, but I'm starting to push it past its limits. I ride trails, and I want advice on what mods I can do inexpensively to keep me happy. I'm 5'7" 165lbs. Anyone with tips, sound off.

I have an '04 CRF230 that is all stock. I like the feel of the bike, but I'm starting to push it past its limits. I ride trails, and I want advice on what mods I can do inexpensively to keep me happy. I'm 5'7" 165lbs. Anyone with tips, sound off.

You may want to do the power up kit if not yet (refer to the stickey) and you may also want to shim the front forks. Rides much better and still absorbes the bumps, but on the turns, the front keeps contact with the ground, instead of just compressing up.

Is there a stickey to explain how to shim the forks? I could definitely benefit from that mod.

No there is no stickey. Bt I will try to explain it the best I can:

Put the bike on a stand. Statonary or a lifting stand will do. You're going to have to take the wheel off. You owner manual tells you how to do this. It also tells you the torque of the axle bnolt and the axle holder nuts. Then take off the front brake caliper. Do not take off the brake line, just get a bucket and put the caliper on it. This will prevent the line from getting any stress. Also take off the two clamp bolts for the brake line so that it is not attached to the bottom portion of the fork. You are now ready to remove your forks.

You may have to move the handlebars. Loosen the clamps for the handlebars and move them front or back. Then take your numberplate off. It's just a 8mm bolt and the bottom goes into the bolt holes for the front fenter. Once off, loosen the top triple clamp bolts. It is a 12mm bolt. Once loosened and they are backed off a couple of turns, then take off the fork caps. Be sure that there is no load on the forks. Loosen the cap. Just crack itopen a bit and loosen the lower triple clamp bolts. Then just pull for forks out. Do the same for the other side and now you have two forks.

Get some 1 1/8" or 1" diameter (not the inside diameter, the outside) stainless steel washers. The Zinc plating on the Zinc coated washers coiuld rub off. Then take the caps off. Take the fork springs out slowly so that you do not make a mess.

Turn the forks upside down and pump them. Do this over a oil container. Pump the forks till no more come out. Then with the springs compressed, add 15w fork oil. Add above the valves and wait for the bubbles to stop. Then add oil, and have it about 6" down from the top-. Start pumping the forks till you hear no more air. Go slowly. Then add oil till you get the oil hieght to be at 5.5" with the forks compressed all the way. Do that for the other one and then add the springs. Add them with the tighter coils facing down. Add the shims on the top of the spring and put the cap on.

Assembly is just reverse. :cry:

Do a search, in this forum, for the last few months, using forks or fork as a search term... it will gove you lost of threads to read through and you can see just what is being discussed on a topic.

Sticky threads are not a something that will be used for general Q&A posts.. The search function works very well,, ya just have to use it.