Sign in to follow this  

Fuel leak

My DRZ-S has leaked fuel from the breather pipe 4 times since I got it new a month ago. The dealer can't work it out and has ridden and parked it in their workshop all day and it hasn't leaked a drop. It's not a huge problem but it's slightly worrying.

It first leaked fuel from the breather pipe a couple of days after I got it. I parked it on a slope so that the side stand was downhill and the bike leaned farther than usual. The second time was on a similar slope and it poured fuel out. I took the fuel filler cap off and it stopped. It started again when I turned on the ignition. :cry:

The last couple of times were when trailering the bike to the dealer for its 1st service and again on the way back. Each time, the wheel channel on my bike trailer has been awash with fuel. It was quite bumpy on some of the roads between my house and the dealer.

In each case, the tank has been nowhere near full. In fact, most times it has been almost on reserve or already on reserve.

Tonight, I rode home and the bike spluttered so I switched to reserve. I parked the bike in the shed and heard a hissing from the filler cap area as it was leaned onto its stand. There was no leakage but a strong smell of fuel. I'm thinking the breather in the filler cap may be blocked or the dealer suggested that the float in the carb may be sticking occasionally.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ian

Is it possible your fuel shutoff valve is leaking?

Mine had a torn screen for the reserve side of the valve which let dirt past and wasted the seals, and always let fuel into the carb when shutoff. After a short period of time fuel would leak out the carb overflow. Of course the float, if adjusted properly should keep fuel from leaking out, but mine did not when the bike was leaning over on the side stand. The valve only cost $65 to replace, and solved my problems with fuel leaking.

Try removing your fuel line from the carb and see if fuel leaks out with the shutoff valve in the off position.

You have a manual fuel shut off valve, right? In the US, it is vacuum operated on the "S" so fuel is off when the motor is off. First suggestion is to always turn the gas off when you shut off the bike. Even so, it should not leak when parked for short periods. Yes, check the gas tank vent. You should not find pressure in the tank. And yes, check for float sticking and/or foreign material (dirt) in the float valve.

Just for info. In the US we do not get an overflow hose off the bottom of the carb because we have the auto fuel shutoff valve. So if a leak occurs, the fuel fills the carb and floods into the engine!!! (EPA - no fuel on the ground)