Sign in to follow this  

First Aid

What do you carry for first aid?

Band-aids, alcohol prep pads, asprin, etc...

I am just packing up a first aid kit for my pack, and dont want to forget something I would use often or should just generaly have!

I carry a small trauma kit. Just the basics.

gauze

tape

ointment

whiskey (small airline bottle)

A cell phone and hope like hell it works!!!. Beyond that a basic first aid kit and the knowledge to take care of a injured rider!!. :cry:

I assume you mean a little kit for carrying on trail rides? How far away from help do you get, and what are the trails like? How many people do you usually ride with? What kind of injuries do you usually come across?

If you're riding in a remote area with no cell phone coverage, you'll carry a lot more stuff than if you ride at area where there are lots of riders to send for help and rangers nearby.

At a minimum, carry several pairs of latex gloves, a couple combination dressings, some bandaids, and some water. You can also carry a small squeeze bottle of Bactine and some gauze pads. The Bactine is good for irrigatin of cuts and abrasions, and it has some topical anesthetic in it to help ease the pain of the cut or abrasion.

To control bleeding there is a 'pressure bandage in the roll that is self adhesive and you can cut and wrap it for almost any cut. The drug stores carry it, but feed stores carry it as an animal bandage as well- and it's cheaper. Either way it's a sterile bandage, for a few dollars. It can be used as a ban-aid if you cut it small enough, or wide enough to wrap a leg wound.

Thanks to All of you. As for me, I ride in fairly populated areas even on the trails.My concern is for minor stuff really. anything big, I have a satalite phone if someone was injured real bad. I like the compression bandage Idea, and the bactine Idea. I found some sealable bottles at the container store cheap. My wife also bought me a small first aid kit at the Base Exchange (Air Force) to throw in the pouch on the back fender. It has band-aids, Tripple antibiotic gell, burn gel, Iodine pads, Asprin, Ibuprofin, and Sinus aid. (whatever that is) I think I should be good with adding the compression bandages, latex gloves, and Bactine.

Thaks again guys and gals!!!

Dont forget a GPS. Even a small hand held unit. Could be the difference between a 30 minute rescue or a 3 day search and rescue.