Sign in to follow this  

Arghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to order two intake valve shims for my bike this week. Don't know about everyone else, but are all your dealerships starting to staff up with idiots as well? Things went like this:

On Monday I phoned to order intake valve shims for the CRF. The parts guy (John) says…”oh, you have to bring your bike into the service department so they can look at it first.”….

”No John, I know the shim sizes I need; I just want to see if you have them in stock, or can order them from Honda for me.”

“Oh...OK, what sizes do you need?”

“I need one shim @ 1.825mm…….and one at 1.875mm. Do they match up with Honda parts that you have listed?”

…long pause….”Ah…yeah, I’ll have to order them, they’ll be in tomorrow. Can I get your name and phone number?”

I give John my name and phone number. Tuesday at noon I phone back to parts and get some guy Mike…”hi I’m calling to see if the Honda valve shims I ordered are in yet?’

“What was the name again?...How do you spell that?....(long pause) uh…..there’s no order in here for that name, who did you talk to?”

“I talked to John yesterday and he said the parts would be in today.”

“Ah…just a minute……(on hold now)….”they’ll be in tomorrow.”

Call back again Wednesday and get Ed this time...”hi I’m calling to see if the Honda valve shims I ordered Monday are in yet?”

“Sure, what’s your name?....uh….how do you spell that…oh…I thought that’s how it was spelled…there’s no order in the system under that name, who did you talk to?”

“OK Ed, Monday I phoned and talked to John who said the parts would be in Tuesday, Tuesday I talked to Mike who said the parts would be in today, now I’m talking to you and you tell me that they haven’t even been ordered yet.”

Ed tells me…”valve shims are a real ‘pain’ to have to get, we don’t stock them and you have to order them from Honda.”

“Yes Ed, I know, that’s why I phoned to order them Monday and checked on them Tuesday and am checking on them again, how many times do I have to order them?”

“Let me see if I can find Mike, or John”…(on hold again)…”uh…I don’t know where Mike or John are.” Obviously sensing my frustration, Ed says “maybe you should speak to the parts manager.”

“Alright Ed, let me speak to him” (back on hold.)

“Hello this is Rob, can I help you?”

“Hi Rob, I’ve been trying to order valve shims since Monday, I’ve spoken to John and Mike and Ed, but nobody seems to know what is going on and your system still doesn’t show an order has been placed yet. I need these parts for the weekend, that’s why I ordered them on Monday.”

“Valve shims…right?... you have to know the correct size for them before we can order them.”

At this point, I’d had enough. “Never mind Rob, I’ll order them from somebody else.”

Now, you might think that at this point in time the manager might say something like..."sorry for the mix up, let me get the shim sizes you need and I’ll make sure that they get ordered and shipped in here tomorrow.” But no...instead Rob says..."OK, fine.”

ARGHHHHHHH

Obviously it'll be the last time I call that bunch. Besides screwing up the order I later found out there were charging almost $2 more per shim than the list cost! Sad to say this is the largest bike dealer around here.

:cry::lol: :lol: :cry::lol::cry: :cry: :cry:

order from thumpertalk shop. they are probably a lot smarter than those guys u talked too. The guys up here are stupid also. :cry:

Sounds pretty typical, except my local dealer would do one thing differently.

It would go like this:

"Sorry, we can't special order any parts unless you come in and pay for them first."

I love living in a small town. I call my parts guy and usually start off with a prank...then he orders my parts (on my word--without prepay) and they are always in on time. It seems like they would give you special treatment as a regular. I go in or call several times a week though. If you live in San Antonio or surrounding area, it's worth the trip to Kerrville to deal with Destination Cycle Sports!--I slip that in whenever I can :cry:

Parts people are absolute idiots. When I have to order parts for my yamaha, I go to their website and look in their online parts catalog (it is very good) and I print off a list of the parts, descriptions, and numbers directly from yamaha themselves. Then I take the list to the counter of the parts dealer. This has seemed to work well.

I also used to bring in the broken part and say "give me one of these, one that isnt broken" (sadly, I had to specify once or twice)

Just to add something sort of funny... every single major parts dealer around here has told me that my moms car doesnt exist. Period! I point out the window and usually they try to pass me off on someone else :cry:

1975 Pontiac Grand Am for those of you that are wondering...

Later,

Dan

My shop has it down, they always have shims in stock and if they dont the get them to me in a couple days. I dont even need to pay up front. You can also try a local Yamaha dealer, the shims are the same size as in the CRF250's

i feel your pain.

but--IMHO--its not just parts dudes that are stupid: it runs throughout the motorcycle industry. Ever try dealing with stickerdudes? They are worse than partsdudes.

Custom fab guys are also completely useless.

I now have so little compassion for strugling mom and pop shops related to the power sports industries--they are loosers becouse Custom Service is the key to success and they cant figure that out.

Yep, theyre the same here.

Monday I call up mongomeryville cycle center, and ask if they have any head gaskets in stock for my bike. They say "yes, we have 4" Good. "And how much are they?" He says theyre 11 dollars I didnt bother to ask if they have my spark plugs in stock, or some springs for my pipe, any dealership will have this.

So today I go in to pick up my gasket. I looked on Rocky Mountain how much one would be. 20 bucks for a full top end gasket kit. I get to the dealership, and tell me my gasket is $19.24. "IM SORRY WHAT?!" I say. "I called earlier this week and talked to Jim and he told me they were 11. I could get a full gasket set for that much." He tells me Jim was mistaken, and the part is 20 bucks. So i say &%$#@! it, i need the part. I say i need 2 BR9ES spark plugs. "Im sorry, we dont have those in stock, ill have to order those for you." I said to him "Are you f*cking kidding me? You dont have a spark plug in stock?" He gives me some crap that its the end of the week and their shipment doesnt come until Monday. So fine, whatever. Then I ask for some pipe springs, I figured theyve got to have them. Again, i overestimated the power of the dealership... They dont even have my springs. I tell him to &%$#@! it, im not giving them a dime.

On the way out, I see a salesman showing a CRF230 to a customer. Just for sh!ts and giggles, I decided to take a gander at this. He kicks for a good 10 minutes, and cant get it started. At this point, the customer loses interest. Yeah, like Id want to buy a bike that wont even start when brand new, let alone a year from now.

Dealers... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Wow that sucks... I'm glad that I have great dealers. The three dealers that I shop with are all ex-racers (and champions) and know all there is to know about bikes. Got great customer service from them. You could try ordering on tt, everybody here seems to know what they are doing.