Sign in to follow this  

Trivia time again - more old pics!!

I only had time to scan a couple of rolls over lunch today and I have a ton more ammo. Here we go again!

Who are these 3 riders and what do they have in common with each other and this photograph?

Common.jpg

Who is #1 in this picture and who is the first year pro #336

shrimp.jpg

How did the man on the right of this picture give the man in the middle a migraine that year? Can you name all 3 riders?

Migraine.jpg

Who is this rider and what was his claim to fame?

RRSS.jpg

Who is this person and what connection does he have to the #17 rider?

star.jpg

Good luck racing fans!! :cry:

OMG, OMG, OMG,,,,

These pictures are so Freekin cool!!!!!!!!

This is the MX era I started in and grew up from. I never thought I'd be looking at new never before seen photos from then. Wow. :cry:

O.K.,,, I'll calm down. :cry:

I'm tempted to wait a little as I'm pretty [@#$%&*!]-sure of myself this time. (You've never heard THAT before have ya?) :cry:

#1 - Jimmy Ellis, Rich Eirstadt(sp), and Marty Tripes were all factory Can-Am riders at one point in there careers. What they have in common with the picture I do not know (they all have Hi-Point boots?).

#2 - Broc Glover is pulling the holeshot towing Jeff Jennings. Jeff was supposed to be the next Bob Hannah. He cracked like an egg under the intense pressure. He was semi-famous for pukeing before his moto's because he was so nervous (sounds like me)

#3 - Weinert, LaPorte & Hannah. With the "Let Brock Bye" incident the Hurricane effectively stole the 1977 125 National title away from Dazzl'n Danny.

#4 - Steve Wise not only became a professional road racer he was also a minister of some sort. Didn't he win Superbikers once?

#5 - Olympic medalist Bruce Jenner (Triathlon?). I do not remember what he has in common with Jammer, but I thought I knew at one point. Was he his personal trainer?

I do have to admit, I cheated on Tripes. I was pretty sure it was him, but not sure of the #27, Thought it could have been Bimbo. :cry: :cry:

chiefan,

These photos are priceless. truly :cry:

Steve Wise was an awesome racer. He competed in many different forms of motorcycle racing at the professional level. He won at MX, roadracing and dirt track. He was a top 10 sx and mx racer from the mid 70's through the early 80's, a superbikers champion and won an AMA superbike race. He was the AMA's top pro athelete of the year in 1982. He pioneered the christian ministy for pros. He is a minister and I believe still lives in Texas.

Bruce Jenner was a huge advocate for motocross and motorcycling. He had his kids involved in the sport and actually rode alot himself. MXA and Dirt Bike mags did a story about it, I am sure Johnny0fast can find them :cry:.

BTW, Whatever happened to JT gear. I used to wear the stuff as it was THE cool gear for the longest time(much like FOX is now).

Thanks for the comments. I have been pleasantly surprised by the response as well as in what I found that I had. Some of these pictures I have not seen since I proofed them for press within a day or two of the race.

#1 Johnny O is basically correct on where I was going with this question. All 3 were factory riders for Can-Am as well as Honda. Just not at the same time.

#2 This will be a surprising one for many. I remember this race was the first time I actually saw the #336 ride in person. Even then he was kind of infamous at 16. When you look at these shots he looks like a kid, especially compared to Glover. He had the heart of a lion and actually still races to this day. So far no one has the correct answer yet.

#3 Correct for Johnny O. Often in the pits I would see where the riders were hanging out and I would be there just to hear what was going on. There were quite a few head games going on most of the time but everyone usually seemed to be friendly. I was trying to get a shot of Weinert and LaPorte when someone brushed by me. Later, right after the shot I realized it was Hannah. I can't remember the conversation at the time all these years later. This shot was from the infamous '77 125 season at the St. Joseph MO National. All these others were from '78 Herman, NE National.

#4 Steve Wise is correct. He was really more famous as a cross over racer in road racing and dirt track from MX and of course the Super Bikers on ABC. I rode to the Nebraska National with an old racer friend from KC Brad Jones, who competed in the 125 class that day. We actually drove up in his van that morning and he had to qualify, but he missed out on making the big race. We then watched the races and I worked. Then we drove home after the races that evening. What a long day. Later in 1985 when I had moved to TX Brad called me to tell me he was racing in the Dallas area. I went to Mosier Valley to watch him race and it turned out he was staying with Steve Wise. My old buddy was a Christian and he and Steve had become friends. I have a color shot somewhere of Steve and all of our wives posing before the races that day. I just went to Mosier Valley last Saturday to ride but the track was closed because they were grooming it for a race.

#5 Bruce Jenner is correct. He was into bikes and became friendly with Weinert from the ABC show SuperStars. Weinert actually did pretty well against some big time pro sports stars. I remember at the time wishing someone younger like Hannah had participated because Weinert was in his decline years at the time.

Any more guesses on who #336 is??

Here is a more isolated shot. Does this help?

cranked.jpg

Hmmm...Porcupine head...Hi-point boots...It could be no other than.....a Suzuki rider :cry:..sorry I have not a clue.. :cry:

At this point I don't care who these riders are, these pictures ROCK. I want more, keep them coming. :cry: :cry: :cry:

:cry:

Wow, Maybe it is Wardy, -> Shrimp? (Boy and I thought I was hot with my JJ guess.) :cry:

How about Greg Thies (Shot in the dark, but I'm thinking the Ward guess is right.)

We are so fortunate to have you around. :cry:

Jeff actually was riding for FMF who had some support from Suzuki in '78. He was really small but he had some syle about him. I first remember reading about Jeff Ward in a Cycle Magazine test on a hopped up Honda mini trail 50 in about 1971. Jeff was the test rider and he looked like an alien with a huge full face Bell Star helmet on his tiny body. He beefed up a bit in later years which makes it hard to believe this was him. I saw him race in TX in an IRL race not that long ago. It is kind of cool that he is still at it in motard. He will be a racer for life.

Ya know, ya just don't see berms like that anymore. I've got some Redbud pics from early 80's that the berms are so deep they look like bowls or saucer's. Cool. :cry:

Sweet pictures! :cry:

My dad was a Can-Am dealer when I was a kid (we still have my first 175 Enduro). We had posters of these guys all over our shop.

Johnny-0 was my hero! Anyone know where he lives these days?

Hurricane Hannah lives not far from me.

Marty Smith was another great rider that I've wondered where he is now.

Thanks for the memories! I thought that was Jeff Ward but I was too chicken to pipe up. (Yeah, I know...easy to say now). :cry: