What new truck?

I bought a new 37ft. 5th wheel and now I am about 3000 lbs. to heavy when it's full of the toys, water and gas for my 6 liter Chevrolet 2500HD. Time for a new truck. I want to go with a diesel this time but I'm not sure which one. I have always had Chevy's, but my neighbor just got the new Ford 6 liter and man that's a nice truck. Any help? ?

Thanks,

Jeff

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for the state of Ca. And we use ALOT of pickups. The Fords seem to be the best choice right now, not only are they a strong running truck but they are the most reliable. (cost of operation), the Fords are cheaper to operate and seem to last longer than either Chevy or Dodge. ?. (Just what I've seen???) ?. All the newer HD diesel pickups are good preformers. Pick a manufacter.??.

I agree with sonorawfo.....all the current Diesels are pretty good these days. Alot has changed in the last few years. Changed for the better.

All the ambulances in my area are Ford Diesels. That may be an indication of reliability.

We've got a 2000 Ford Superduty Diesel with 80k miles on it and it is running strong. Use it to haul a 2500 lb cab over camper and toy trailer.

What's the actual pin weight of your loaded 5th wheel?

My friend works at a GMC dealer and warns that the early Duramax diesels had issues. The motors are made by Isuzu.

Are you saying Izuzu's Diesel engines are bad???

But yeah, the big 3's diesels are all good. IMO, I think it's all the same as reliability goes. All made by great companies, great designs, just a matter of which interior and features you like best. ?

If it were me, I'd get the duramax with the allisoin tranny, then a hypertech chip.

i'm a chevy guy to the bone, but i have to admit that the new fords do look good. but i still like the way chevy does things. the best combo will be when one of the companies gets CAT diesels. as of now, the cummins will outlast the other brands by a few 100,000 miles, but i'd still go with a chevy just because i'm biased on the whole chevy vs. other brands thing. just stay brand loyal, you won't regret it.

The dodge has the best motor and will pull anything anywhere.

The Chevy is also great, another great motor!

The ford was good. The 7.3 was a stout motor. The 6.0 is a hunk of junk and will leave you stranded. Don’t buy ford! ? :cry:

Go Chevy or dodge, great trucks. I prefer dodge.

I prefer dodge dew to the fact that it is proven and Chevy tends to incorporate a lot of new technology into there vehicles. Dodge stays relatively simple as well as ford. But I just told you about ford. Plus Chevy has a black box that records your driving. If you get into an accident they can tell if the brakes were applied, speed, throttle position, everything.

I agree with "sonorawfo" and some of the other guys comments, you can't go wrong with any of the 3.

As long as you're buying something within a couple model years it'll be good. If you're buying from more years back be specific and people can tell you problems they've had.

In the past 8 years I've had/have 6 full size crewcabs. Five were 4wd, 4 Deisel, 2 Chevy, 4 Ford. A pretty fair mix...

We beat them kinda bad on dirt roads and load 'em a fair amount.

We feel the Fords are built stronger and tend to last longer. But also the solid front axle is rough and wears parts regularly.

The Chevy rides so nice and the Duramax/Allison pulls strong, is a rocket, and is super quiet.

Up until this year (I think) those Dodges were so stinkin loud.

As for the Duramax having problems that's partially true. Some of them had big injector problems, some didn't.

The '05 DMax has a new style/location injector that should be better.

If you are going to lift your truck (suspension or over 33" tires) it's easier with the Ford (if you get a 4wd).

I for one hate those lift kits that show the drop down brackets like used on Chevy 4wd/torsion. I won't add those. It's tough to go to even a 285 tire on the Chevy (diesel 4wd).

Just another opinion; right now the Ford 6.0 does have a lot of issues. I have some access to warranty data at the big three and the Ford smoker is by far the worst right now. The rest of the truck is good. GM has a good record as well as Dodge for engines. GM is bugged by trim issues. Dodge has mickey mouse issues with switches.