Sign in to follow this  

Street legalization

I would base the decision on how often you encounter law enforcement. If you want to cruise town, go all the way. If you want to connect trails with a few country roads go "barely street legal". I chose the latter.

well im just asking how does this brake light switch work and how do i hook up the brake light? It says it comes witha bulb, does that replace the stock one, and that switch go somewhree near the brakes and when u hit them, it activates the switch and makes the light get brighter?

i did the same minimal mod here in co. i put the brake light switch on the front as that's the one i use all the time. you'll replace the brake banjo bolt with the switch. when you pull on the brake it allows power through the switch and thus powers the bulb. tap into the headlight harness for power and run the other wire back to the rear light. you'll need to poke the wire into the un-used hole in the light bulb harness and solder it in place. the stock harness is set to accept a 1157 running/brake bulb. i used a led 1157 i bought of of ebay for $10 for 2 reasons. the rear shakes alot and a led won't burn out. also the stock alternator doesn't put out alot of juice. led bubs require very little compared to regular bulbs. others have reported that their headlight will dim at idle when this mod is done and the brake light is on. with an led bulb this doesn't happen to mine. you can slap your tag on the rear fender but i used this: http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/LicensePlateHolder.html it very slick, concealed yet your tag can be seen by johnny law. this guy has any other dual sport parts you'll need. you might need a foldable left rear view mirror. i recomend the ufo(white brothers) one over the acerbis as it's held together with nuts & bolts vrs wood screw into plactic as the acerbis is. #19 here: http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/Mirrors.html it bolts to the handelbar and fold out of the way when not in use. you don't need that adapter thing.

Ok thanks, and btw i dont need a rear view mirror. I emailed dmv and asked them what it needed, and it only needs headlight,tailight/brake, and the tires.

Here's how I mounted my plate(works and looks good)No problems with the law in California/Nevada/Utah so far.I also used l.e.d. marker lights(made for streetbikes) as turn signals.They don't get in the way.I also used my stock taillight which I soldered another lead into the extra input...1157 bulb is all you need but the led's are nice as well.

xr400licensemount.jpg

yeah well my old man got screwed with the rego thing see when he bort his new sl "wuss" 230 he didn't go for rego but like the next week he disied he wanted to get it regoed so now hes got to get a green slip every year wheres as my bike that is at lest 19 years older but was regoed when the orgonal owner borght it so i just got to take it down to the roads and trathic athorty evry 12 months and get them to look at it wet there pants with fear and then i got to pay $300 and im sweet where as the 230 gutless plastic and titniam mass has too get its clutch brake and throtal insspected in two places witch adds up to about $400 witch is an example of the moto un frendly sate of backward Australia i live in.

In my state(connecticut) you only need a headlight, tailight,and a brake light.

Where did you get this information? I stopped at the Waterbury DMV today, and they told me you need everything -- high beem, horn, speedo, blinkers, mirror, even a lighted tail light. If you found a loophole, let me know.

Thats bs, i emailed them, and they sent me the link of what was needed. YOU BETTER NOT NEED all that crap, ill be pissed...

In my state(connecticut) you only need a headlight, tailight,and a brake light.

Where did you get this information? I stopped at the Waterbury DMV today, and they told me you need everything -- high beem, horn, speedo, blinkers, mirror, even a lighted tail light. If you found a loophole, let me know.

I dont ive in connecticut but from my experiance forget DMV. Go to some place that does the inspection and have them look it up. I went to a place and they told me all this stuff. They were like yeah you should need this and should need that. I went to a place that would look up what you needed and found out I only needed 3 things here in VA. That would be the best way to go is find some one to look it up.

No such luck. DMV is the only place that does inspections in CT. And with a special construction vehicle, there's only one DMV station the does the inspections, and that's in Wethersfield.