Sign in to follow this  

HELMET QUESTION

I was just wondering why someone doesnt make a helmet with the gel stuff like bicycles seat are made of. Styrofoam is so hard and doesnt conform to a very large area of your head on impact. I think the gel would conform better and cover a larger area of the skull. I would also think your head wouldnt stop so quickly with the gel. I know its probably heavier, but if it works I would take the trade off. anybody got any input?

I think you already answered your own question. My brother is in a wheelchair (yes, bike-related) and his seat pad is gel. That thing weighs a bunch, and I for one would not care to totoe it one my head during a race.

Sorry to hear about your brother, I could'nt imagine. I think your right, it may protect your head better, but you might end up with a neck injury with the extra weight, especially if you were to crash with the heavy helmet whipping around. Sometimes I think too much.

Monty Salyer #045

Reese Salyer #746 AKA Chicken Lips

Styrofoam dissipates a tremendous amount of force. It's meant to practically self-destruct to absorb most of the impact. I can't imagine a gel dissipating that much energy and not returning it to your skull in some way.

That's true also. I think the gel is very comfy to sit on, but that's because it conforms to the shape of the buttcheeks sitting in it, while the styrofoam maintains a set shape until impact, at which time it deforms so the skull doesn't. BTW, we DO all know that helmets need to be replaced after even one serious impact don't we? Also, Walkingwounded, my brother has stayed in off-road stuff since he got hurt in '92. He started racing a Honda Pilot 3 months after the accident, rode a friends dirtbike a few months later, just to see if he could, and just bought a Honda Rancher ATV with autoshift/electric shift so he could go riding with his friends, who all own 4WD ATVs. Even tho he's paralyzed from about T4 (armpit level), he doesn't make excuses and is a constant reminder to everyone that we all have problems, get over it and keep living. OK, sermon's over... :cry:

T.F.Balls and Zoo Keeper, I think I sometimes look at things to simple, but it sure does feel good on the caboose.

Hey Zoo Keeper, your brother sounds like he has a lot of character. It sounds like he's making good out of a tragedy. This inturn can make a difference in peoples lives that he comes in contact with everyday.

P.S. sometimes a sermon does everybody some good.

Monty Salyer #045

Reese Salyer #746 AKA Chicken Lips

Beaumont,Texas (mosquito coast)