Sign in to follow this  

GPS enabled phone question

I often ride alone in remote areas. I have a GPS and a cell phone with me at all times. However, my wife has been bugging me to upgrade my Nextel phone to the new GPS enabled version. This will allow her to locate me from a PC using Nextel's locater system. She is worried about me laying unconscious somewhere in the forest. Does anyone have one of these? If so, does it work?

I never knew they had anything like that other than the e-911 where the police can track you via GPS. Pretty neat idea though if you go dirt biking by yourself :cry:

My son was just showing me his phone that has that capability. It's not real GPS per sey, more like Sprint uses its network to triangulate the phones position. Probably not as acurate as the GPS satelite network but it would be close enough in an emergency I bet.

I often ride alone in remote areas. I have a GPS and a cell phone with me at all times.

Does your cell phone really work in your riding areas? The GPS downlink obviously will, but if the cell phone won't link up with ground antennas, neither the regular cell or the GPS cell will help. Most of the places we trail ride, cell phones can't get out. If you have cell coverage where you ride, the GPS cell phone would help if you were unconscious. But if you want more reliable communication in the boonies, I think that a no-code HAM license and walkie-talkie might be the only useful upgrade. I've been meaning to do the no-code HAM thing for a while -- guess I should get off of my lazy behind, especially now that the red sticker trail areas are opening back up in Cali for the winter.... :cry:

The ham radios are pretty good, and the test is not hard.

Those 2meter handhelds are cheaper and smaller than ever before. :cry:

Does your cell phone really work in your riding areas?

This is not an issue where I ride. I can always get a cell signal.