GPS enabled cell phone

I often ride alone in remote areas. I have a GPS and a cell phone with me at all times. However, my wife has been bugging me to upgrade my Nextel phone to the new GPS enabled version. This will allow her to locate me from a PC using Nextel's locater system. She is worried about me laying unconscious somewhere in the forest. Does anyone have one of these? If so, does it work? Thanks!

most new phones have gps locaters but they can only be used by the authorities!

No, it is available from Nextel right now. My wife called and they'll sell us the phone and service right now. It is being sold as a business tool for $15/month/phone. Here is the description from their website:

Mobile Locator™

Allows you to view and monitor employee location in real-time, either singly or within a group, on a zoom-able, online map. Also lets you see an employee's location history, based on your last five queries, and communicate discretely to an employee via two-way or standard text messaging.

What You'll Need

GPS-enabled or Internet-ready phone

MyNextel login

PC with Internet connection

I have an i730 phone from nextel and it does have a built in GPS. It will let you track 'employee's' phone locations from a base computer. HOWEVER, as I understand it, the tracking feature only works when you are within a cell. In other words, if you are in the woods and you don't have cell service - no dice. The system works because your phone recieves the satalite signals and calculates your location, but that data is sent to nextel/your computer via cellular connection. That may have an impact on your choice to invest in the system. That said, for my money, nextel is still a great service, and a GPS in your phone would be super usefull if you needed to call 911 and tell them where you are.

Monte

She can only track you if the phone has a signal. No signal, no way to track where you are at.

That said, any new cell phone is going to have a location feature. This was mandated to mobile providers a short time ago for emergency services (and if you ask me, law enforcement tracking too probably). So even if you don't go with Nextel and pay for this service, if you are in trouble AND have a signal and can dial 911 they will know your location.

I have 6 of those piece o crap no reception Nextel phones. Thinking one of them will save you in the woods is risky business.

Besides, do you really want to be on an electronic leash 24/7. You can be tracked, with a laptop anytime of the day or night. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......hello! Mcfly!!!!!!!?

I have 6 of those piece o crap no reception Nextel phones. Thinking one of them will save you in the woods is risky business.

Besides, do you really want to be on an electronic leash 24/7. You can be tracked, with a laptop anytime of the day or night. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......hello! Mcfly!!!!!!!?

? :cry: ?

Mobile Locator™

Allows you to view and monitor employee location in real-time, either singly or within a group, on a zoom-able, online map. Also lets you see an employee's location history, based on your last five queries, and communicate discretely to an employee via two-way or standard text messaging.

I can hear it now..."Honey I'm on my home now, sorry the ride was a little longer than i thought...What's that, you KNOW I'm NOT moving....Oh yeah - That darn phone."

I think I'd rather take my chances switching to analog and calling in an emergecy.

Sat tracking is a little to Big Brother for me.

I can hear it now..."Honey I'm on my home now, sorry the ride was a little longer than i thought...What's that, you KNOW I'm NOT moving....Oh yeah - That darn phone."

I think I'd rather take my chances switching to analog and calling in an emergecy.

Sat tracking is a little to Big Brother for me.

I guess my situation is unique. There aren't any of those issues between us. My wife would never check-up on me and I would never lie to her. We both get to do whatever we want to without any immature BS. That would be the reason I married her. ?