Sign in to follow this  

Tire Wear Question

After having been almost killed several times by the death wings my 04 S model came with - I bought a new set of Dunlop 606's - front and rear. I love the tire on and off road. Maybe it's because I can only compare to the death wings :cry:

Anyway - I'm doing more street riding that I planned and need a tire thats more 50/50 than the 606's. They wear a bit faster than I'd like.

Can anyone suggest a tire that is more road durable than the 606 - yet as dirt capable as possible? I really do a LOT of dirt - but end up doing about as much on the street as in dirt when considering mileage alone.

I thought I heard that the Karoo's wear well. Maybe Kawidual can enlighten you on them. :cry:

Have you tried babying the rear 606 when your on the street. I does take a lot of the fun out of it but it helps a lot.

I thought I heard that the Karoo's wear well. Maybe Kawidual can enlighten you on them. :cry:

They wear good, but any of the DOT rears IMO are not very good on the dirt

after 1000-1500 miles, still usable on the street to 3000 though.

I broke down & bought a second set of OEM rims for 21/18 slicks so

I can use better dirt tires on my other set or not wear out my DS tires

so fast.

Its all a compromise until you get another set of rims for street use

either stock or 17"s.

how are those 606's at 70mph? I was thinking of getting a pair. Those or the karoos. I am in the same boat as you. I ride alot of street just because, but I love the dirt. On my 04 I still have the deathwings and I hate them on anything less than pavement. I mean just a little dirt on pavement and they are slick. I cant wait until I can replace them. But it's bow hunting season in 24 hours so I guess the bike will have to wait for new shoes.

The 606's are excellent on the street IMO. They howl a bit but are otherwise fine up to 80 or so - which is as fast as I've been since the sprocket change. The rear wore pretty fast up to a point and then the rate of wear slowed even though I did a LOT of "hard" street riding. I would estimate that the rear would last for at least a couple of thousand miles on the street alone...and since the tire is only $50...Not that bad a deal.

I just hate to chew up a premium tire on pavement when it's really meant for dirt.

I really can't complain at all about the 606's - they completely changed the personality of my bike for the better in the dirt - HUGE improvement over the deathwings.