Sign in to follow this  

anyone else do this?

:cry: I broke the top bolt on my oil filter cover inside the engine. I didn't use a torque wrench but it was barely tightened. It felt like it was just spinning freely. Then i heard a snap and pulled about 3/4 of the bolt out. The other 1/4 is stuck in my engine.

I have to admit that i did the same thing! truns out my tourqe wrench setting was not where i thought it was and snap! It is such a small bolt that i didn't trust myself to use an easy out on it so i took it to my dealer and they charged my $60.00 to get it out and put in a new bolt :cry:

i don't plan on ever doing that again!

There are alot of ways to get it out. Do you have a reversible drill?

If so, then drill a small hole in the remaining bolt. Reverse the action

on the drill and see if it starts to come out. When you see the remainder,

just use some pliers to screw it on out. EVERYONE needs a torque wrench.

Yup. I did this the first time I changed the filter in spite of using a proper torque wrench. The long bolt snapped upon reaching 6 lbs. torque. Someone left an excellent post on this subject regarding dry vs. oil wetted threads. He claimed that threads wet with oil tighten easier and needed to have the specified torque reduced by 20% if I recall. Makes sense.

At any rate, I no longer use the specified torque but rather just do it by feel using a small 1/4" drive ratchet.