Sign in to follow this  

UNEVEN / FAST Brake wear

I bought the bike maybe two/three months ago. It was time for new brakes, seemed alright as far as timing. Bought new ones rode twice and they are wore out. Probably half way and uneven wear patern. Not sure what would cause that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Check your caliper slide pins, If they are dry and sticking or worn, It will cause uneven brake pad wear.

Monty Salyer #045

Reese Salyer #746 AKA Chicken Lips

Beaumont, Texas (mosquito coast)

Your caliper has one piston. When you apply the brakes, the piston pushes on one brake pad and then the other half of the caliper is pulled over and the other pad helps stop also. The slide pins is what the other half of the caliper slides on. Any type of lube will work in pinch, but I use seal glide. It can be purchased at any auto parts. No it will not affect your braking because it does not go on the pads or rotor.

Monty Salyer #045

Reese Salyer #746

Beaumont,Texas (mosquito coast)

forgot to mention that it is not really uneven wear between pads that concerns me it is the uneven wear on each pad. The front of the pad has less wear than the back of the pad.

sounds like the pads isn't in the right place, check to see if the front of the pad (where it slides) is seatet on the steel "clips" I have seen pads hanging on a edge end then the brake isn't working probably.

I wonder if it is that stupid metal clip. Mine wasn't releasing properly once after remounting wheel.... turned out the pads/metal clip weren't in place properly.