Sign in to follow this  

What is the wire next to the front sprocket on '05 KXF?

I have just got the '05 KXF and am going to remove the front sproket cover.

What is the wire right in front of the sprocket? & without the cover is it likely to be damaged from debris flying off the chain?

Thanks in advance for answering my amateur question (first 4 stroke owned and know nothing about them)

its the In-Gear sensor. when u put the bike in gear it idles higher and some what easing clutch pull. i think it also helps with engine braking.

Why remove the cover? It doesn't add much weight and helps keep the chain lube from flinging over the boots and frame. :cry:

i wanted to remove mine, but was afried of the wire being too exposed, so i cut the stock guard along the front part that is curved, so that i cut off all of the vented parts. it opend it up alot, and i never have mud build up, and i race the GNCC's

I did the same. Kept some protection but got rid of all that mud and sticks that just destroys the chain.

Cheers, I'll cut it around the curved part.

The reason for my question was I rode in the mud the other day, and the cover got so jammed with debris (bits of stick etc) after trying to clear it for 10 mins I had to remove it. The crap was struck so tight I could hardly gouge it out with my finger. :cry:

We make custom guards for all of ours that go all the way to the ignition cover, that way the wire feeds down behind it and it protects the boot on the bottom also while leaving your chain fully exposed and makes for a stronger guard against chain breakage.

Took mine off the day I got it('04) 70 hours and still in one piece. So have most guys I know with KXF/RMZ.