Sign in to follow this  

crf 230 for the street

I am looking for a bike that I can ride to work and have fun on days off. Would the 230 be a good chose?

A 250x would be better in your situation. The extra HP would be easier on teh freeways.

My friend converted his 230 and he rides it to work most days in Pasadena (CA). Never on the freeway, but you didn't say what your ride is like. The dealer did the conversion for him before he bought it. I know he did the power-up kit and added a Dual Sport kit from Baja Designs. He's got dual-sport tires. I also think he changed a sprocket to go faster, but I don't remember. He loves it.

The only problem with the 250 is that I,m on my tippy toes on it. Don't feel very safe on the street. Don't think it's legal either

The only problem with the 250 is that I,m on my tippy toes on it. Don't feel very safe on the street. Don't think it's legal either

If you put on headlights, a lisence plate light and a brakelight, the bike is legal.

To make a car legal, you only need 3 lights. Headlights, taillights, and a lisence plate lame. You do not need turn signals because you can use arm signals.

That's the rules for Cali if I remember correctly. You may want to throw on turn signals just to be safe... :cry:

Work is only 3 miles away and speed limit is only 35. I rid e a honda shadow right now. I want something I can ride and not feel the need to polish all the chrome.

Work is only 3 miles away and speed limit is only 35. I rid e a honda shadow right now. I want something I can ride and not feel the need to polish all the chrome.

Dont even bother regearing! If you really want to, just put the lights on and start ridin to work :cry:

The people at the DMV told me that all I need is a headlight,brake light,mirrors and a horn.

All the better. You could probably put on a XR250 rear light, and get a hearlight. The horn you could put on a airhorn and put a pushbutton for the stiwch. Mirrors are easy too, just go to a local shop that sells streetbike things and you'll find what you need. One place that you may have luck with is Cycle Gear (if there is one around)

Any idea what the top speed is on the 230 ?

about 60 mph with a power up kit and stock gearing :cry:

What company are you buying these things from. When I looked I had a hard time finding ones that said for Honda CRF230. Will just anyone fit or what?

We made mine street legal for a bit. I absolutely could not stand the dual sport/enduro tires on the dirt. I didn't leave it that way for long.

What kind of riding do you do ? I don't plan on doing any hard riding. Just to get me to some fishing spots that is too much of a hike otherwise.