Sign in to follow this  

Stabilizers??? Best one?

This post is regarding my dad who shares the CRF with my brother. My dad only rides trails due to 2 rebuilt shoulders. The CRF has been a huge improvment over his last bike, 96 KTM 250EXC, suspension and weight wise. His question is what is the best (cheap is good too) steering stabilizer? As far as I know Scotts, RTT, and GPR make them but how do they compare in perforamnce and price? Thanks.

I can only speak about what I've used. My previous bike (DRZ400) had a Scotts. My current bike (CRF250X) has a WER. There's not a hell of a lot of difference in how they ultimately work. I preferred the Scotts in that it was more adjustable and looked pretty cool.

I'm sure that people have their different preferences, but in the end they all work nicely and are great to have. Make sure you look at the whole picture in terms of cost (what accessories you'll need to install it on your bike).

I favor the Scott's, you can adjust as you ride, quality parts with the mounting kit.Personally I hate to cut up my number plate or light for the linkage on the W.E.R.,also the WER cannot be adjusted as easily when mounted on the fender nor does it have the range of adjustments.

GPR is similar to the Scotts in design, never used one though. Those I know who have them like them, the Scotts still offers more adjustments

I use the gpr on my bike and my daughter has the scotts, they are both great stablizers, the gpr is a little cheaper.

I rode today for the first time with my new "Scotts". About 5o miles of tight trails with lots of rocks and loose surface. Some faster sand washes. Much more stable and less arm fatigue. Well worth the money. I havent used other brands.

Mechanicaly scotes is the best one. It has a special feature on it that no other stabilizer has. I havn't figured out what it does though...... But atleast its there.

I just replaced my GPR 2.0 with an RTT. Definately like the RTT. It is free to center like the Scotts and has a remote adjustment lever. Seems to work quite well.

My understanding is Scott's is the way to go based on their special high speed circuit. Example: if you set your damper light for tight woods (or even no dampening @ all), you will still have a high speed circuit that will help you if you hit a rock/rut @ speed. The other brands do not have this feature if the main circuit is set soft.

I've had a Scotts on both my 450 and now my 250. Wouldn't have a bike without one now. I believe that the High speed dampening, and the centering function of the Scotts make it better than any of the others. :cry:

The WER has a "no damp to center" function too. Has worked very well for me for a couple of bikes now. Nice and out of the way, there's enough stuff in my cockpit. Easy to adjust via thumbscrew. I haven't turned pro yet to need to adjust while I'm on the throttle.

In case anyone is interested, Rockymountainmc has WER steering stabilizers listed for 319$. This is quite a bit less than scotts or GPRs isn't it?

I also installed my new scotts stabilizer(easy).It was worth the cash for me as I am trying to cut down on arm pump.In the fast sections I was more confident with a lighter grip on the bars even when the front end would would get light and hit a rock.Very nice quality.

Yeah $319 is a good price for one compared to scotts. The scotts bar mount is $380 or $399 I think. I have the front fender mount on mine and that was $450. And I am proud to say that I paid for my stabilzer and not my parents. :cry:

Hey, I have a WER on my '99, BBR-CR-125/XR-200 conversion. The engine is stretched out to 245cc, aircooled. It is OK for MX. The Scotts on my 250X, is much better in the woods than the WER. I was told that I could change the oil to a heavier weight, and get more damping, but it runs out, wide open. Not quite enough. Scotts will lock it down, bigtime. Clint