Sign in to follow this  

Stipped Allen Bolts

I have 2 Allen bolts holding the frame slider or guard whatever it is called on over the rear brake resivor and need to bleed my brakes as the back has lots of air in it. Well the holes seem to be stipped. Any way to get them out? Would my best option be to try to get someone to weld another bolt onto it?

You can use a dremmel and slot it for a regular crew bit, Then get you a impact tool and smack the hell out of it and it should come loose! If not welding a nut on may work as well the heat from the weld would do it good :cry:

Damn I have a dremel but I think I burnt the motor out trying to cut some shocks off of my truck. It doesn't work anymore. May have to call and see if they will replace it or if I have to buy another one. The odd thing is that I wasn't really doing anything that should burn the motor out I just went to turn it on later and it wouldn't turn on so thats all that I can figure happend. I may also try to heat it up with a torch but I don't want to melt anything behind it.

Allen head bolts? Did you replace the original big phillips head screws or id it come with Allens? Are you using the correct size Allen wrench? Have you tried the chisel on the edge of the head? That usually works for me.

I replaced those screws with 6mm with the 8mm hex head like are used on the engine cases. Works great.

I didn't replace anything. It is not the ones holding the resivor cap on it is the one holding the frame guard to the frame. Or frame slider I have also heard them called. I assume they came like this but maybe the previous owner changed them. Yes I'm using the correct size wrench. I have taken them off many times and they are always tight but they don't seem to want to come out this time.

This is hindsight, but put some anti-sieze on them when you put it back together.

Corky

Thanks I went down and heated them up with a propane torch and it still didn't budge they are pretty much rounded out with nothing to grip onto. Im thinking if I can get something to grind a slit in it and maybe turn it like a screw but thats all I can think of.