Sign in to follow this  

I must be a figgin' hulk

the other day I was putting a new front sprocket on my wife's XR100, after putting on the sprocket I tighten the two 10mm bolts that hold it in. I give each a one last turn with the ratchet to make sure they are snugg and I shear the head off of one of the bolts (the stupidy that ensued aftward is another story, but let's just say that it involved a drill).

Then tonight I was finishing up putting putting all new plastics on my youngest son's PW50 (after all 4 kids learning on it, it needed a facelift). I was installing the new fuel tank and while tightning the bolt that holds the tank on I shear the head off of that one.

What the hell is going on here :cry:, I'm not fricking leaning on these things, just getting them snugg. Both bikes are ~4 years old so maybe there is some fatigue happening but I doubt it :cry:.

So anyway now I gotta find these two bolts in order to get ready for sunday :cry:.

For some reason the bolts on our bikes are weak. Also I have stripped and broken and stretched so many bolts that I just use a torque wrench on everything.

Japanese steel is either the best in the world or the worst. Guess which one they use for their bolts.

Try using a torque wrench. I have sheared lots of bolts on my CRF by mistake... pretty much the same story as you. I think there was a torque wrench post somewhere on the board, you could check that one out.

When you don't have a torque wrench, do this. Use a socket wrench with one hand. Hold the wrench on the head above the socket to tighten. Keep your hand on the center. Do not try to move your hand out on the handle. This will siginificantly reduce your leverage and you can feel the tightness of a nut or bolt better.

With this method, I do not have the strip problem. Interestingly, I had trouble trusting Torque wenches when I first used them. Torque wrenches have long handles with lots of leverage. You cannot feel the tightness of a bolt. I first tried the kind with the gague, the kind that do not ckick. First time in my life I broke bolts. I now use a small inch pound wrench and have a big wrench for the wheels, etc.

just snug em up lightly and if you're in doubt, use thread lock :cry: a torque wrench sounds good too. i have one but its too big for most things, like fender bolts and whatnot.

I just use a torque wrench on everything.

First time I ever used my torque wrench on the fork bolts, I broke the steel bolt off in the aluminum clamps well before the correct torque setting was reached. :cry: And yes, the torque wrench was set correctly. :cry:

Lesson, be very careful using a torque wrench with steel bolts in aluminum threads.