Sign in to follow this  

Hard start when cold

My wife's 230 will not start with the choke. It will only start unchoked after grinding the starter to death. It runs great and starts very easy when warm. My dealer, well lets not go there. The bike is stock with about 2hrs of riding time, and runs great any ideas?

check the position of the fuel screw. it should be @ 1.5 turns out.

you also may want to remove the float bowl and check for junk...new bikes are prone to have crap in the fuel tank.

My wife's 230 will not start with the choke. It will only start unchoked after grinding the starter to death. It runs great and starts very easy when warm. My dealer, well lets not go there. The bike is stock with about 2hrs of riding time, and runs great any ideas?

I'm just trying to help so don't take this wrong: Do you have the choke procedure memorized correctly? It's 2 clicks up to choke. If you are only doing one click, or have the direction mixed up, it could cause these problems. I assume you've done the obligatory spark plug check?

What does the dealer say? Share the humor.

:cry:

No the bike will not start with the choke as funny as it sounds. The bike runs great, no bogs or pops. I asume its a jetting issue but it runs really good, starting is the only problem when cold. To say the least my dealer is not dirt worthy.

No the bike will not start with the choke as funny as it sounds. The bike runs great, no bogs or pops. I asume its a jetting issue but it runs really good, starting is the only problem when cold. To say the least my dealer is not dirt worthy.

These bikes are cold blooded. Try this, turn the idle screw in about 1.5 complete turns. Put the choke on full and start. When it starts, drop it to half. If it dies, go in half a turn, and start over. Then after 30 seconds of the bike running, drop it down all the way and bump down the idle. Let it warm up or take it for a easy ride and bump the idle down all the way.

Works every time, starts every time with no dying!

I Have exactly the same problem, only fires on full choke wont run, on half choke have to wait for it to fire then open throttle and turn off choke immediately, otherwise runs perfect jetting and plug spot on.

The 230 will not run on full choke for long *at all* without loading up and dying. You have to remember this is not a Civic with a sophisticated automatic fast idle enrichment system that lets you finish reading the paper on a winter morning. You're the manual EFI computer. The object is to get the choke turned off as soon as possible so it can proceed with warming up. Bumping the idle knob up a bit will allow it to idle unchoked better during warmup. Follow 230F's procedure and you will be fine.

The 230 will not run on full choke for long *at all* without loading up and dying. You have to remember this is not a Civic with a sophisticated automatic fast idle enrichment system that lets you finish reading the paper on a winter morning. You're the manual EFI computer. The object is to get the choke turned off as soon as possible so it can proceed with warming up. Bumping the idle knob up a bit will allow it to idle unchoked better during warmup. Follow 230F's procedure and you will be fine.

And doing it this way will not hurt the engine. Carb'd vehicles bump up the idle. They have to for it to run :cry:

i have a easy procedure for startin these *cold-blooded beasts*...i have a 150 by the way...and all i do when i pull it out to go ridin...flip the choke switch up all the way...give it a lil gas...about two kicks later it starts...take off and move the choke back down to normal...and it never dies...works great for me! :cry: