Sign in to follow this  

retrorocket in need of repear.Has enyone replaced a gasket head cover?

okay i need to pick some bodyes brains's ive got a 1985 XR250r witch runs pritty dam compeitive to most new bikes probly due to the fact that i have rebilt the engine and the dude who had it bfore me hardly used it. but lately the best has been leeking oil from the join betwen the gasket and the riged part) so bvisoly it's the black thin black seal/cover (this is one of the parts i didn't origonaly get replaced becouse my very compatent and trust worthy machanick (probly spelt that wrong but hay) advised that it should be fine (but when the oil started to steam he nerly had a hartatack cos he fort he had stuffed sumthin up but apone inspection he noted that it was the suspected cover) now id get him to do it but the $50 laber fee is kinda a bit hard to buget and ive got to start doing the matanice soon eny way. so can eny body offer eny asistance in this matter. :cry:

I've successfully reused the valve cover gasket by recoating it with silicone gasket maker. If that doesnt work, you just have to get a new one.