Sign in to follow this  

How do i get started?

Hey folks, i'm new here so be gentle...

I've got a 2000 Yamaha WR400F that's just been sitting my garage for months now. All my dirt bike buddies have pretty much given up on riding and I've been riding my Roadstar all summer. The Roadstar is awsome, but I need some more agressive riding time too and it's just a cruiser. I've seen the whole supermotard thing growing and it looks fun. Love the look of a supermotard and I'm starting to get an itch to convert my poor neglected WR. With that said, here are my questions...

1. Which dual sport kits work best and don't cost an arm and a leg? I will want to ride it on the street so I need this first.

2. I'm assuming the stock wheels and brakes will work for now, but what tires to use?

3. What about gearing, will the stock gearing work ok on the street if i'm using stock rims or will i be running too low for street use?

3. If I change the front to a 17" wheel, is changing the rear a must?

4. With changing the front to a 17 is the brake a must too?

5. I think I might try some racing, but for now it's just for street use. Is there something I'll need that i haven't asked about?

Thanks for your help getting me started!!!

You sound like the perfect candidate for the new Suzuki DRZ400SM. Electric start, what should be great suspension, solid brakes, warranty, and did I mention electric start? Lot's of mods available for garage tinkering.

I recommend you sell off your WR400, and put the wheel and brake money towards the new Suzuki. :cry:

With stock wheel size(18f 21r) it's called "SPORTSMAN" set-up,and I know lots of guys that can drag the footpegs on their bikes like that. Avon Gripsters will do that,also the Pirelli Scorpion can work well. The best rear tire is actually a flat track oriented tire made by Maxxis, but it comes only in 19in. for CRF/YZ (competition bikes) and is not DOT (street)legal. It's really sticky,and costs about $100+, which is the same as the other tires.

Get some used leathers on eBAY or Craigs list,put on your dirt boots, and we will see you at Stockton any/every Monday!

Does anyone know where this thread went? Any keywords from it that I could search on?

having the same problem also...want to know more and getting this...

Error: 404 Document Not Found

Address: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1376128/page/2/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Possible Reasons:

The file you were trying to access is no longer available on this server, and the link has yet to be updated.

If you typed the name of the file in by hand, you may have mispelled it, or added unnecessary characters by accident.

You may want to search this site or visit the main page and then search from there

I agree with SM610. When I first started I used the "Sportsman" set up and it worked great. The AVON Gripster seemed to work the best for the front and the Maxxis flat track tire for the rear. I used the stock front brake but an oversized rotor would have helped. Later when I went to the 17 inch wheels I still used the stock brake and had no problems, but again brakes would have been nice.

opps, sorry guy, the TT forum was revamped somewhere after Sept 04

so i guess that link is lost...

You sound like the perfect candidate for the new Suzuki DRZ400SM. Electric start, what should be great suspension, solid brakes, warranty, and did I mention electric start? Lot's of mods available for garage tinkering.

I recommend you sell off your WR400, and put the wheel and brake money towards the new Suzuki. :cry:

I will second the DR Z400SM if you dont want to build a race bike.

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/downloads.asp?id=57&c=&m=97&l=

and

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/ProductDisplay.aspx?modelCode=DRZ400SMK5

How do you get started????

Open your wallet and spend ALOT!!! :cry: